when is the latest you can take step 2 ck and have it residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mclovit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when is the latest one can take USMLE step 2ck and have it on your application. Obviously most take late July early August, what about September/ October? I feel like I am going to do better on step 2 but wanted to gauge the timing issue.

Members don't see this ad.

You can have the score sent after your application is in, so it shouldn't hold up your application.

As far as how late is too late to have the score considered, it's hard to say.

plus what residency you apply to also affects when u take it I guess. If you did good on Step 1 then holding off for later for Step 2 is kind of what I read here. Also most good programs start looking at apps as soon as they are in i.e. Sept 1, so if you think you are going to improve upon your step 1 significantly or that step 2 might be a factor for you, take it early so the score is in by then, just to be safe (3-4 weeks for score reporting) ... Aug 1st week might be a good idea .. just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
My plan is to have the score report in hand before interviewing, just in case anyone asks about it (or I do really well). I'm taking it in mid October and not automatically releasing it. My Step 1 was high so I don't need a good Step 2 to get interviews.