When is too early to start prepping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7toMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional student who just completed his first semester of a Post-Bacc program. Would it be better to wait until I've completed a certain level of curriculum before I started prepping, or is it never too early?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you are taking the pre-reqs in the Post-Bacc program? If so, don't worry about the MCAT yet. Focus on learning everything well and making sure there are no gaps in your understanding of MCAT-related topics (not everything is on the MCAT so focus on MCAT topics more for some motivation). Use the AAMC topic lists to figure out what's on it and what's not.

If you've already taken the pre-reqs, I'd study a maximum of 5-6 months out. Even that is probably too much. 4 would be a good number.

If you are taking all your pre-reqs in a condensed time period, then 3-4 months is optimal timing. All the information you learned should be fresh in your head and now all you need to do is apply it in a way the MCAT tests you on. Focus on really learning the material in the class so you wont have any troubles re-learning when you start prep. I wish I did that when I took most of my pre-reqs....