When is too late for T-Y notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

A. Caveman

I had my interviews at two schools on feb 5 and feb 9, but i still haven't sent them the thank you letters. i know these are put in with my file if i send them to the admissions office. so i was wondering if it's too late to send them. i'm gonna send them regardless, but is it gonna make me look bad because i didn't send them earlier. does it make me look like i'm not very interested in the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're gonna send em, it's best to send em early. It's not too late to send them yet though. Just make sure you write something different if you're sending more than 1 to the same school. Try to personalize it to each interviewer. Don't want two carbon copy thank you notes in your file.

Should thank you notes be sent to the admissions office or to the interviewer directly? I addressed mines to the interviewers through their department.

When the interviewer offers his or her card, or any hint at all to contact him or her for questions, that is a good oportunity to send thank you notes early. General consesus is thank you notes being most effective when brought in before the committee meets and dileberate on your application. It's been said that younger and/or newer faculty are most receptive to thank you notes as opposed to deans.