When it comes getting on a program's Rank list...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keeping-it-real

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much emphasis is placed on grades, letters, scores, etc. vs. how the actual interview went? I'm just trying to get a feel as to what "getting an interview" actually represents. I've seen in the past people with plenty of interviews ultimately go unmatched and I'm wondering if this is a result of poor interviewing, insufficienct ranking of programs, or lack of competitive scores vs. the other ranked candidates.

I've also heard that there is a numerical system that grades candidates for ranking purposes (i.e. 1 point for AOA, 1 point for publication...). Does anyone have a rough idea as to the specifics of such a system and what the usual criteria are. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

how much emphasis is placed on grades, letters, scores, etc. vs. how the actual interview went? I'm just trying to get a feel as to what "getting an interview" actually represents. I've seen in the past people with plenty of interviews ultimately go unmatched and I'm wondering if this is a result of poor interviewing, insufficienct ranking of programs, or lack of competitive scores vs. the other ranked candidates.

I've also heard that there is a numerical system that grades candidates for ranking purposes (i.e. 1 point for AOA, 1 point for publication...). Does anyone have a rough idea as to the specifics of such a system and what the usual criteria are. Thanks!

1. Nearly everyone who gets interviews will match somewhere.

2. Each program has their own criteria and system. I would not say AOA=1 pub. I would say bad interview=no rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
What in your opinion is a bad interview?

Well, the candidate who stared at the walls and seemed to be internally stimulated comes to mind.:eek:

Actually the list varies but we've black balled for very apparent disinterest, arrogance, poor interpersonal skills or just plain clueless (e.g. So you're the PD, does that mean you're in charge?)

1. Nearly everyone who gets interviews will match.
I'll hold you to that when I come for my interview
2. Each program has their own criteria and system. I would not say AOA=1 pub. I would say bad interview=no rank.
That part is probably true. However, I would imagine bad letter=no rank as well. Often it means no interview though.