When it is too late to apply DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Last Reclaimer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may take the MCAT in September, applying by October. Is that too late for DO schools?
CGPA: 3.72
SGPA: 3.55
Good letters of Rec, good Personal Statement, good extracurriculars.

I know this is very brief but I am just trying to get an idea. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, but some schools really do have rolling admissions. The earlier you submit, the better chance you have.

Reactions: 1 user
That's about when I applied and it worked out. Not sure how much has changed in 4 years though. You might have more luck in pre-DO @WedgeDawg

Members don't see this ad :)
with a good MCAT and an early and broad AMCAS application, you should be going to MD school with those GPA numbers. don't let immediate gratification tempt you into 4+ years of learning OMM if you don't have to!

with a good MCAT and an early and broad AMCAS application, you should be going to MD school with those GPA numbers. don't let immediate gratification tempt you into 4+ years of learning OMM if you don't have to!
Not a guarantee with a sGPA of 3.55, unless there is a solid rising GPA trend.

Thanks, But I have seen the numbers on MSAR, I have no chance. I also refuse to do research since I have no passion for it, so MD isn't an option for me sadly.

Thanks, But I have seen the numbers on MSAR, I have no chance. I also refuse to do research since I have no passion for it, so MD isn't an option for me sadly.

You... don't need to do research to get into an MD program (unless you wanted to do an MD-PhD, but it seems that you would never want to do that). Your GPA is a bit low for certain schools (you're probably not going to get into T20s, but there are some good MD programs with lower ranges).

Applying in October isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's definitely suboptimal since by that point some schools would have already started sending out interview invites, so you'd be competing for a reduced number of spots.

Not a guarantee with a sGPA of 3.55, unless there is a solid rising GPA trend.

agree, but I hate to see people rush to get in anywhere when a more carefully considered approach could get them into a better position. obviously this isn't even the question being asked and I have no other knowledge of OP's situation. just an (unsolicited) suggestion.