when parents try to force their kids to be doctors....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mannnn. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Most of you premedders/meddders have the luxury know of saying whatever they want from their golden perches looking down on others.

The fact of the matter is that with the medical profession you have close-to-guaranteed job security and could be making close to half-a-million dollars if you do a relatively competitive (maybe no even that) specialization. The rest of the world right now is going through an economic crisis and people everywhere have to keep looking over their back to see if they will even get a have a job tomorrow (the only jobs that people don't have to do this are rare - where they enter into very long-term contacts and don't have to worry about this for a while).

And to explain the high salary of doctors, many people explain - 'I have to go to school for so long ....' The reality know is that many peopel in their mid-lives are now going back to school adn comunity colleges to get retrained for a new profession that may pay lower or around the same as their old job salary (look at the example of autoworkers). If these guys were given the option of going to med school and then move into a residency program that guarantees a salary of $35 -40,000 for 3 - 4 years, before you start making six figures, I think everybody would jump on it.

So please, don't say people shouldn't push their children into medicine. Medicine is a great profession with great job security and job compensation (not to mention all the knowledge you receive and specialization, and the fact that you get to your use your brain at-times or hands, depeding on your field). All you have to do is make sure you study for an extra four years during medical school and keep up with your studies. Especially when other people in your family are not as-certain as to whether they will have a job tomorrrow, medicine seems like the most logical/rational choice to you.

Members don't see this ad.

I too disagree with any form of God-like worship of mortal beings... but how is his comment God-like worship? :confused:

His particular comment is not so much the typical junk, but it's an example of an almost unwarranted, cart blanche trust in Obama. Almost as if he's the savior that's going to redeem this horrible system of capitalism, or redeem this horrible health care system, or this horrible financial system, or this... (again, I supported Obama over McCain. I'm not some kind of Obama hater)

I suppose his comment more reminded me of the sheepish following rather than being a sheepish follower.

sanjeevson, I don't think anyone is arguing that medicine is some horrible career that no one is thankful for. Quite the opposite - I think many people are incredibly thankful to have the opportunity to enter such a career. Do you not see a problem with forcing medicine down someone's throat though? I wouldn't want a physician who got into medicine only because his parents told him so. From a more general perspective, I'd much rather have someone do what they enjoy and makes them happy than what their parents want them to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to ask every parent an honest question:

In this society at this time in history, how much CONTROL do we actually have over our kids, for anything?

My parents specifically tried to talk me out of becoming a doctor . . .

Same here... Not sure what about it they didn't like, but they did their best! I am happily on my way to being a doctor. :) Not studying in the US though...

Last edited:
Same here... Not sure what about it they didn't like, but they did their best! I am happily on my way to being a doctor. :) Not studying in the US though...

My dad (physician) was so happy i decided to even go to college instead of the military like i originally wanted to do that he didnt dare push the med school thing.
You should have seen him the day i told him i was registering for the MCAT.

NOT MUCH AT ALL!!!

I see the rebellion and myself have rebelled against my father and fought my way for everything. I have no regrets either about fighting my parents.

The great thing about this country is that this girl will probably be able to get her own job and her own credit and then her own loan so that she can say screw her parents if they try to run her life for her. She may have to financially struggle but she can become her own person. This country is about individualism and diversity for a reason.

wow...that coming out of a desi female - I'm impressed :) Fortunately, my parents have been relatively understanding of my, um, unique interests (relatively being operative, we are still Indian), and especially understanding my decision of basing my life assuming permanent singlehood (i.e., I'm not so concerned about 300k of debt if I'll be living alone in studio apartments paying it down until I'm in my mid-30s).

I totally agree that you need to carve your own path. My path very distinctly will combine medicine and policy, and if nobody in my desi community understands that, so be it.

fortune cookies in the cookie cutter factory. they're all the same.

play the violin, piano, and go to med school.

drones.....

I support the idea of skipping grades (elementary school is so useless and a waste of time). and pushing kids to go into a high paying career.

but that's where it ends for me.

Why does every asian have to be so obssessed with their child becoming a world class musician rather then letting them learn and decide how advanced they want to take it?

I don't think all asian parents are like this, just like how not all non-asian parents are super easy going. Have you never heard of the pressure some parents put on their kids in terms of sports?? if you ever get a chance follow the college football recruiting process.

Why does every asian have to be so obssessed with their child becoming a world class musician rather then letting them learn and decide how advanced they want to take it? Why not let them decide what sport or activities might interest them by showing them and asking them rather then pushing them into becoming this molded figure of your ideal fantasy child?

I dropped Indian classical dance/music when I was 9 because I hated it; did debate in high school instead. Now a lot of people think I'm an argumentative loudmouth, but best decision I've ever made :)

Mannnn. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Most of you premedders/meddders have the luxury know of saying whatever they want from their golden perches looking down on others.
Are you kidding here. Premed/med are the scum of the earth. There are no perches for us. Sure, 10 years down the road there may be. But right now the only people who have any respect for us are people outside the medical profession. So we sure as hell don't look down on them. They are our only allies!

The fact of the matter is that with the medical profession you have close-to-guaranteed job security and could be making close to half-a-million dollars if you do a relatively competitive (maybe no even that) specialization.
Right, it is just that simple and easy. Well, unless you figure in that you had to get into a good college, do more and better than everyone else in said college, apply to medical school, get in over other people who did more and better than eveyone else, then once in, do more/better than eveyone else who got in (including step 1), then get into said residency by working harder/better than everyone else.

So you pretty much just have to be the (let me count here), best of the best, of the best, of the best. 15 years of college/higher education later you are there. Easy. Anyone one could do it. I wonder why more don't... oh yeah, because they can't make it.

If these guys were given the option of going to med school and then move into a residency program that guarantees a salary of $35 -40,000 for 3 - 4 years, before you start making six figures, I think everybody would jump on it.
Uhm... ask them how they feel about debt. A lot of debt. And this is just a terrible thought here. Nobody just walks into medical school. It is not that easy. Go spend some time on the pre-allo and ask them how easy it is to get in.

You seem to be forgetting a crucial element here. The people that choose this path could have done other things as well. They could have been a CEO or hedge fund manage or entrepreneur or a thousand other things that make a lot more money in an easier way. Don't act like they were just taking the easy way out. Not even close.

So please, don't say people shouldn't push their children into medicine. Medicine is a great profession with great job security and job compensation (not to mention all the knowledge you receive and specialization, and the fact that you get to your use your brain at-times or hands, depeding on your field).
Right.

All you have to do is make sure you study for an extra four years during medical school and keep up with your studies.
So very wrong.

Especially when other people in your family are not as-certain as to whether they will have a job tomorrrow, medicine seems like the most logical/rational choice to you.
That is probably why we chose this.

I love these posts that remind me how very simple and easy medical school is. How could I forget? It's a walk on the beach.

But honestly do you really want your kid to be like the 12 year old kid who went to med school i.e. a child growing up among adults rather then interacting with kids his age and getting to enjoy his young childhood?

I'm not talking about 12 year old med students.

I'm talking about 18-19 year old med students. 23 years old going into residency.

fitting is very overrated.
I hear that argument all the time.

Looking back at junior high and high school, I could've done without all the bullsht friends whom I haven't kept in touch with for over 10 years. I didn't need them at all. Actually, they needed me more, for homework help and crap.

and being 3 years ahead of the crowd doesn't mean you can't fit in.

I was built like a senior when I was a freshman in high school. I could've easily blended in.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...that coming out of a desi female - I'm impressed :)

Seriously? Everyone rebels. It's just a question of whether you do it quietly or loudly. If there's no one looking over your shoulder all the time, you can pretty much do whatever you want. Otherwise, you might have to fight a little.

PS some of the biggest immaturity I've seen among med student hopefuls and even those who eventually made it to med was when they first started college at 18/19 years of age. They are usually the ones who are bitter later down the road cuz they realize reality and the real world hits them in the face in med school which is where they really learn to grow up. lol.

Med school = the real world?

Lol indeed.

If you say so.

PS some of the biggest immaturity I've seen among med student hopefuls and even those who eventually made it to med was when they first started college at 18/19 years of age. They are usually the ones who are bitter later down the road cuz they realize reality and the real world hits them in the face in med school which is where they really learn to grow up. lol.

Med school = the real world?

Lol indeed.

give the premed some slack for not knowing.

med school is not so much about maturing as it is about realizing "oh sht. so much sht to memorize. so little time. can't party anymore."

that's why they appear to be more mature. But host a party and see how mature they really are.

med students are one of the least mature crowds. If you put them all into a Big Brother house, watch what happens

Let me give you an example of what I\'m talking about.

I\'ve seen people complain about something as simple as not every urse is nice or always polite and it gets to them and they whine about that.

In the real world that is true in any job.. Not every coworker is someone you will like. Some may be very malignant and some may be friendly and some you\'ll just be neutral to.

Or other times I\'ve read med students complain about how no one else has 80 hour or even 100 hour work schedules. This is simply not true. I\'ve met people who were working easily 80 hours a week for pittance pay to get themselves through ugrad even with loans. I met one just this year who admitted that before going back to school he worked 100 a week in a factory. I\'ve seen people even in other jobs have to work odd hours like my brother a nuclear engineer. Yet on here a lot of people assume only doctor\'s have to work long hours.

They have a point when they complain that 80 hour work weeks translate into 60 one week and 120 another week because the 120 hourweeks shouldn\'t be happening. But if it is not like that and is more like 80 every week then you know what? They are not the only ones who work such. Not all other jobs out of medicine are 9-5 as the fantasy seems to be on here.

Or when people complain that medicine is the only place where malignant personalities exist, but yet I\'ve heard the same complains from any number of friends in other jobs even at the lowest level.

These are just tip of the iceberg.

So yes the real world does hit them in the face when they see that med school isn\'t his glamor idea or when they realize their fantasy of becoming a rich surgeon isn\'t going to happen because they see the reality that surgery is hard long hours with people who can often be somewhat malignant to greater degrees then in other fields.

This is just a small small small sampling of the things I\'ve encountered. Yes I do believe that for most traditional medical students that the real life lessons of how ugly the world is sometimes does really hit a lot of them when they get to med school. This is something I\'ve seen from personal experience with kids I knew in ugrad who have gotten into med school either via carrib, US MD, or DO schools, and many of them have changed and grown up more so then the person\'s I knew them to be to realize a lot of real harsh realities of the world and life. So yes a lot of people do grow up when they do get into med school.

Agreed with almost everything you said! My dad works 40-80 hours every week and only makes $13.50 an hour. My oldest brother works 60 hours a week and makes $65k a year. I have a friend who works just 25 hours a week for a salaried job that pays 35k a year (he hates his job though). I have been in the real world many years and I have worked in the health care field for many years. There will only be a select few doctors at clinic or hospital that are making the big bucks. Most work hard, but do not drive expensive cars or live in HUGE houses. A job is a job. Less than 1 percent of Americans love their job (and I\'m not talking about the people who enjoy what they do). You can always tell when a person loves their job as it jumps right out. Happyness isn\'t going to come from a monthly check of $150,000. Happyness comes from within and within a realtionship. I\'m the most happy when I\'m watching a football game and eating cake with vanilla ice cream. That is when I\'m the most happy. Since I have been in the real world long enough to know that nothing else in the world will bring me the same type of happyness, I just deal with the suckyness and not complain as the person next to you most likely feels the same way and it only makes the situation worse. There is this one person on my Facebook friend\'s list that has \"just call me MD\" on his profile. The dude is already going bald in his early 20\'s.

You're arguing both sides of the coin here. Are med students living in a fantasy land where they think they work harder than everyone else but don't, or do they come into medical school in a fantasy land where they think doctors don't work hard and are somehow disabused of this notion?

Or other times I've read med students complain about how no one else has 80 hour or even 100 hour work schedules. This is simply not true....a lot of people assume only doctor's have to work long hours....

So yes the real world does hit them in the face when they see that med school isn't his glamor idea or when they realize their fantasy of becoming a rich surgeon isn't going to happen because they see the reality that surgery is hard long hours with people who can often be somewhat malignant to greater degrees then in other fields.
Being a bit older than the traditional med student, I've had the opportunity to live most of my 20's away from medicine. I'll just say that 1) people mature and change in their 20s irrespective of medical school, and 2) med school is stacked with elite/entitled/well-off/sheltered kids, which makes any philosophical observations, especially those concerning the "real world," narrowly applicable and insular at best.

PS your talking about how you did debate prompted me to click on your MDapps. Can I just say you did some pretty cool things with your life before medicine. That musta been some experience working with the counterterrorism dept. and working in other such jobs like that.

Oh and we had some fam friends that did speech and debate club and its competitions in highschool. they loved it a lot. I'm sure you learn a lot from it though in terms of how to talk in public, how to make your case for something, etc. Your experiences show what real diversity is to me and you seem to be like me in that you follow your heart and do what interests you rather then what someone pushes you to do. i like people like that who know how to do what is important to them rather then letting someone tell them how to live their life cuz they want to live through them.

Thanks Guju. I reflected recently on the fact that I was born in India, and a cousin who is close to my age and who I grew up with until my family moved to the US (granted, when I was a toddler) could not have ended up any more different. I think the whole individualistic US culture, and especially the fact I grew up in a middle-class blue-collar town with almost no minorities (let alone Indians) contributed.

And about DOD, it was definitely a great and interesting experience, and I've come across from physicians doing biodefense work in places such as WashU and UPitt, and even a doctor who's also a historian at UMich is a consultant to the CDC on swine flu...I'd love to contribute to all this stuff in the future, and it really shows that even though you may be another 'cookie cutter desi med student', you can carve out your own VERY unique path

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah its funny cuz I was learning bharatanatyam when I was in tampa and the past year but gonna have to stop cuz I am moving up to Boston to go to BU for their SMP.

But yeah I can't stand the parents that force their kids to do things like that. I know the ones who stuck it out after arangetram at our school are the ones who love the dance and music and from where it comes from within. In their cases esp. with this one girl it is the parents who want them to stop cuz of the gas price to drive to the school, the price to pay for the lessons, the time, etc.

That's the paradox of Indian parents. either they really don't want you to do something cuz they are stingy with money or they want you to do said activity to look good.

lol - for my family it was a win win, the dance class was a half hour from where we lived, so my family saved tons of time and money and I saved myself from doing something I ardently disliked. And with debate I was actually quite successful, made it to state championships one year (and it really transformed my life and especially self-image for the better). I am quite certain I would have NOT become a professional dancer, or done anything past arengetram - fortunately, I had the rationality to recognize that at age 9 :)

Oddly enough, a lot of really happy and accomplished people regret that they never became doctors :laugh: Of course since they never became doctors they get that luxury of the fantasy to regret.

That said I actually don't think there's anything wrong with nudging your kids towards one profession or another. The banker friend probably doesn't like banking all that much so it's more of a nudge away from banking and towards one of the few other guaranteed six figure careers.

So long as it's a nudge it's OK, because a sane person (aka the kid) should be able to tell their parents to back off if they really enjoy something else and don't care about medicine.

agreed even though this is a very controversial issue...i dont think Most asian parents (yes i am southeast asian been through all this) FORCE you in a way that if you dont leave my house and never come back....its just more of a motivating or ideas that they give you because everyone knows doctors are important and successful. So i know for my parents they would tell me oh doctor or engineering, focus on science or math...and things like that...and honestly it worked out in such a way that i am fairly dedicated to my studies. Its absolutely not wrong to give them an idea...because lets face it...you go on HSDN..half the kids there dont know what they want to do in the future but have some type of idea. Having a narrowed idea of a field is much better than not having one at all. I think parents just want the best for what their children want to study in the future and from a small age tell them things so they can keep them in mind for the future...and i find that to be completely ok.

This is so common and it's very sad. I had a friend in high school who was accepted to Harvard for undergrad but her parents forced her to go to a state school so that she could do the guaranteed med school program. I don't know how you couldn't hold animosity toward your parents for something like that.

Well I'm not sure what country you are from or can't speak for your country's representation but I do know people who've been pushed. My father told me that his career was picked out for him by his father and he had no choice but to go along with it. In my home town at one point a lot of Indian kids were being pushed by their doctor parents to become doctors until once someone's child came back from the North and was pretty messed up or so the story goes around here. That was the turning point when they realized they couldn't force their kids hands. My brother wanted to study History when he was in college but my dad forced him into engineering and tried to force him into medicine. He rebelled against the medicine idea but did engineering. My other brother made it clear he'd not let my dad dictate him.

The same older brother that became an engineer met people who would tell you that they were in medicine because their parents were pushing them and afraid of going against their parents cuz they'd cut them off. Yes he met people in this boat. I have other friends who've told me they've met some doctors in this kinda boat. So it does happen but its not everyone that's for sure.

Sure i have heard things like this...but i have never seen (or heard) this actual "Force" that you speak (or anyone else for that matter). The most i heard was yeah..."i wanted to do business...but now i have to do engineering because my dad said so"...nothing like "they cut me off financially...kicked me out the house and left me on the street starving unless i changed my major"...if you get what i am trying to say. I think they just want there kids to be doctors or engineers for either the money or for bragging rights even though they will never be so upfront about it. Also some other (things i feel are quite insignificiant) like Marriage. Especially with Arranged ones..its like some dumb thing where the "good looking, good family" girls are all attracted to families where their son's are doctors or engineers.

that was what I got out of what I saw. A lot of people don't really have as much respect for engineers as it seems. Like, at least 2 engineers I know got married to doctors so instead they quit their engineering jobs and ran their wife's medical practice. at least several others who have female kids in medicine tend to be obssessed that the hubby should be a doctor as well or in a doctoral level of education i.e. PhD, DPT, JD, etc.

Some have found people on their own and fought for what they wanted but not everyone has it in them to go against their parents. some of the ideas Indians have about life are real sad and pathetic.

man, I would NOT want to live in your town...while there are definitely a fair share of desi pre-meds at UM, the forced marriage thing is a line that is not crossed here - I have never seen a higher proportion of interracial desi/white (desi/anything but desi, really, haha) couples than in Michigan, and all seem quite happy.

huh? What about arranged marriage? I'm not sure I'm understanding your point?

Oh and people seem to want their daughters to marry a PhD, DPT (Physical Therapist with doctoral level degree), or other such things before an engineer.

that was what I got out of what I saw. A lot of people don't really have as much respect for engineers as it seems. Like, at least 2 engineers I know got married to doctors so instead they quit their engineering jobs and ran their wife's medical practice. at least several others who have female kids in medicine tend to be obssessed that the hubby should be a doctor as well or in a doctoral level of education i.e. PhD, DPT, JD, etc.

Some have found people on their own and fought for what they wanted but not everyone has it in them to go against their parents. some of the ideas Indians have about life are real sad and pathetic.

Point being: Family A has a son thats a doctor....will be able to give and get many marriage proposals because the girls family B will know they are putting there daughter in good hands. Family B will also "understand" that son from Family A comes from a good family.

I am by no means saying this is fact or what i believe...just saying this is what i have witnessed and heard from many people. They want to push there children into reputable positions in society so they can be a main attraction. I think this goes on with mostly parents who moved here at a late age and raised there kids here.....I would imagine that a lot of this "forcing" does not go on with desi husbands and wives who have been born and raised here starting a family (as opposed to desi husbands and wives who grew up and were raised in there country...but moved to US to raise there children)

at least several others who have female kids in medicine tend to be obssessed that the hubby should be a doctor as well or in a doctoral level of education i.e. PhD, DPT, JD, etc.

I have seen this as well....except to be honest i've never really hard about desi parents telling there kids to go into law or something...mostly seems to be around math, science, and the healthcare field.

Yeah probably shouldn't have included law in there. My point was they seem to think doctoral level means better then an engineer. lol

True lol but you know why i think they push engineering? In southeast asian countries Engineers actually have pretty good jobs and i think there high paid. I mean here....they start at average and have much more potential here..but they just dont make enough starting out. But then again all you really do need to be an "engineer" is a bachelors...getting a masters or PhD just increases the starting.

Well the thing too with engineers is it depends on what field you are in and whether you also go a level up in trying to start your own company and become successful.

Civil engineering is one of the most unstable fields because when construction stops the need for civil engineering dies out in the area. So it is rather unstable. By contrast chemical and nuclear and biomedical engineers are still in high demand but getting jobs in chemical is real tough if you've not done a strong amount of internships and what not coming out of college.

That is what happened with my brother. They wanted people with years of experience so he couldn't get a job. He started working in civil line before a drastic pay cut caused him to get a new job and this time he lucked out and got in nuclear engineering up north.

But he got lucky to get that otherwise its not so easy and they say that field is usually one where unless you get lucky and work at one of the major plants and get a job there you really have to go to the navy to get good experience.

So a lot of people don't do that line. Not sure how other fields in engineering are but I think pay depends on the field and how high you go up in terms of getting contracts at a more marketing level and possibly even owning your own company.

Guju, it was news to me when you said that engineering is not highly regarded in the Indian community, though I do agree it is a bit more 'unstable' than medicine. My family worships engineering. My dad is a mechanical engineer (in the auto industry, go figure), and obviously he didn't want my brother and I to follow his footsteps to that particular field, but he was quite happy when my brother did EECS, and not so happy when I said at the end of high school I hate math and love politics and was gonna be a poli-sci major. :laugh: He nearly had a heart attack when halfway through school I thought I wanted to go to law school. Now I'll just be the desi med student whose friends are all lawyers lol.

though, ironically, one of my friends graduated top of her class in ChemE and ended up becoming a public interest lawyer :) I know at least 10 people who went engineering --> law

Last edited:
Well the thing too with engineers is it depends on what field you are in and whether you also go a level up in trying to start your own company and become successful.

Civil engineering is one of the most unstable fields because when construction stops the need for civil engineering dies out in the area. So it is rather unstable. By contrast chemical and nuclear and biomedical engineers are still in high demand but getting jobs in chemical is real tough if you've not done a strong amount of internships and what not coming out of college.

That is what happened with my brother. They wanted people with years of experience so he couldn't get a job. He started working in civil line before a drastic pay cut caused him to get a new job and this time he lucked out and got in nuclear engineering up north.

But he got lucky to get that otherwise its not so easy and they say that field is usually one where unless you get lucky and work at one of the major plants and get a job there you really have to go to the navy to get good experience.

So a lot of people don't do that line. Not sure how other fields in engineering are but I think pay depends on the field and how high you go up in terms of getting contracts at a more marketing level and possibly even owning your own company.

Interesting you say that..most people i know or older friends i have who took the engineering route all went Mechanical. That seems to be a very popular area where jobs seem to be obtainable....but besides that also heard of some people going into Biomed.. i personally have not heard about them going into civil.

Mechanical is another good field too. But like I said I don't know much about the details with those. I only spoke of the experiences of my fam. members in the fields they have exp. in.

Biomed is extremely lucrative; most folks here are having a easier job finding biomed/med-tech co-ops than any other. Us auto-industry electrical/mech/computer/industrial engineers are being laid off in droves.

McBeefy.jpg

Mechanical is another good field too. But like I said I don't know much about the details with those. I only spoke of the experiences of my fam. members in the fields they have exp. in.

Mechanical is dead. I've lived around mechanical engineers (incluing my dad) in the Rust Belt all my life, and the new generation are electing to go to law school, public policy, etc. Even the auto industry is moving to other fields, like environmental/chemical engineering, to try to get in touch with the alternative fuels option.

Clearly you are a product of our unregulated capitalistic society. It's all about me me and me. It doesn't matter if you have to die at the expense of my happiness. Pursuit of happiness no matter what happens to your other fellow human beings. This is what we export. And then look at our economy and society now. Enough said.

Thank goodness for people who understand this like Obama.

And when you feel like that tell that to your attending. Your career will be over in a flash guaranteed. Especially if you talk to those doctors who actually care about people.
Aha, another braindead Obama-worshipper with Bush-derrangement syndrome who just can't inserting his petty political opinions into every discussion. If your such an anti-capitalist communist, why don't you grab one of those signs printed out by Nancy Pelosi and demand "gov't healthcare reform NOW!!!"
I must say that, for a possible attention-begging troll, you're pretty amusing.

outliers3.jpg

The difference between high vs. low socioeconomic families is that the one actively pushes their kids to pursue new things, to cultivate their strengths, and develop a sense of entitlement. Examples are camps, sports, after school programs, musical instruments. Their parents also intervene in school when their kids do not perform as well, they argue with the school if their kids are not placed in honors programs. The other group simply allows their child to develop 'on their own'. If their kids perform poorly in school, they put the responsibility solely within the hands of the teacher. It is proven statistically over and over again that the later approach yields significantly less successful kids later on in life.

If you say so.

Isn't your abovementioned age group the major demographic in medical schools? I understand, but I don't. Working real jobs, actually having to study in undergrad, renting a place and paying bills before 22 all seem like larger factors in being a "grown-up" than the dreaded "Oh my god, he's/she's going to turn out like an idiot because he/she started medical school at 22/23.

I get SO appalled when I hear about a situation like that! I think it's okay for parents to nudge their kids toward a certain profession, but not to push them into it. I am not sure I want my kids doing medicine because while it is rewarding, you also suffer so much. But we'll see if this opinion of mine changes once I am past MS2 and MS3 lol.