Not open for further replies.

MusicJunkie

Troy&Abed in the morning!
7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2009
Tinseltown
Status
Medical Student
This makes me so upset. I hate it when people assume that because I'm black I am automatically guaranteed a spot in professional school or that I'm taking someone else's spot because of affirmative action. I have worked so hard to obtain my GPA, I've worked so hard to be active in my school and in the healthcare community... but apparently, none of that matters. I just don't understand sometimes. It amazes me that some people think that an African American student couldn't have gotten in because of their own merits, but because of their skin tone.

Jul 31, 2009
Status
This makes me so upset. I hate it when people assume that because I'm black I am automatically guaranteed a spot in professional school or that I'm taking someone else's spot because of affirmative action. I have worked so hard to obtain my GPA, I've worked so hard to be active in my school and in the healthcare community... but apparently, none of that matters. I just don't understand sometimes. It amazes me that some people think that an African American student couldn't have gotten in because of their own merits, but because of their skin tone.
I just laugh at theM

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
That is their faulty thinking, perpetuated in part by affirmative action. You are exactly the type of role model young minority students need to look up to, because you expect no less of yourself for being a minority.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I definitely hear u, regardless of ur race/ethnicity u'll have to prove ur worth in med school.. For da haters...

PinkIvy08

Lady Boss
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, it sucks. Had to deal with it for undergrad, probably will have to deal with it on some degree during med school (I'm praying not nearly to the same extent). I guess the thing to remember is that just because a few ignorant individuals are vocal about their views, it doesn't mean most others feel the same way - this is something I personally struggled with in undergrad.

When I first started undergrad and got harassed with this nonsense, I used to "fight back" by spitting my stats and ECs and awards and that usually shut them up. But then I thought it was ridiculous that I felt compelled on any level to justify my presence to these individuals, so I stopped. I stopped paying these people any attention and when confronted again I usually responded along the lines of "Get out my face" and kept it moving.

It can be tiring and it does suck, but we live in an imperfect world, so I wouldn't expect things to change just because we're entering the "professional world." You have to learn how best to handle things for yourself. Some laugh, some ignore, some get vocal. Just do what you need to do to keep that negativity out of your life!

student.ie

15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
That sucks. We should probably do away with affirmative action so there won't be that doubt all the time.

MusicJunkie

7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2009
Tinseltown
Status
Medical Student
yeah, I definitely hear you guys. Most of the time I'm pretty good at brushing it off, but today, hearing it again just really irritated me. I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like this though. :)

Jul 31, 2009
Status
Blah blah blah.... You have to admit there might be some truth to it for SOME of us. Meaning it did not give y a guaranteed seat, but it put you in a different pile. This is why I laugh because whatever they say or think it does not matter I still got my seat and on the first try. I have more resentment for the constipated URM's that I have met on SDN than the racist cry babies.

StIGMA

Doctor Professor
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At my medical school this is not assumed in the least. I hope once you matriculate you will find this attitude is not present among your peers. At this level of education, everyone who has made it belongs.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Let me assure you of this fact: when a patient is dying in front of you in the ICU at midnight and you are the resident, your color isn't going to matter. Either you know what you are doing or you don't. Suck it up, do your thing and stop trying to figure out "what people assume" or "think". These kinds of statements make you look insecure about your abilities because you can't possibly know what is in the head of another person. Either you get the job done or you don't. Excellence has nothing to do with color.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
First and foremost, I already stated that usually this type of thing doesn't bother me, and that I typically just brush it off. But, on this particular day, a GROUP of people decided to have a discussion in front of me about this particular topic, and some of their perspectives (while respected), quite frankly hurt my feelings. I did not "assume" what these particular individuals thought on the topic because they told me they thought I'd only get in solely because I was African American (I did not, and do not, assume that everyone feels the same way). Some of the things they said were quite discriminatory and laced with ignorance. Do I recognize this? yes. Does it make it any easier to hear those type of things? No. Like I said, I'm a tough girl and usually I'm able to brush this kind of thing right off because I've encountered it before, but some days, it's difficult to deal with. EVERYONE has days when they need to rant or they get fed up hearing the same thing over and over again. When I made this thread, this was one of those days I needed to rant. I'm sure you've had one of those days yourself. This does not make me insecure, it makes me a human being. If I was insecure about myself or my abilities, then I would not be on the path that I am, nor would I have gotten as far as I am. Especially in the face of commentary I have experienced before and on that particular day.

Trust me when I say that I "suck it up" all the time... and judging by some of the posts on this thread and other threads in the "Underrepresented in Healthcare" forum, I'm not the only one that feels this way sometimes. I completely respect your right to have your own opinion, but it is unnecessary to belittle me in the process.
If this is your response to this stuff, those people have already inflicted their damage which was their intent. You have lost control of the situation and allowed them to get to you. My point, don't let this happen. Grow some or you will have "chunks" taken out of you all through your career. People who feel the necessity to put another's accomplishments down do this have a problem (most of the time they are bullies) and it's not your problem unless you allow it to be.

If you find that my comments "belittle" you, then you can wallow in your feelings or move on. I have "been there and done that". You can move forward with excellence and leave the ignorance behind as only your thoughts in this matter will affect you. I choose to move on. What is your choice?

MusicJunkie

7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2009
Tinseltown
Status
Medical Student
If this is your response to this stuff, those people have already inflicted their damage which was their intent. You have lost control of the situation and allowed them to get to you. My point, don't let this happen. Grow some or you will have "chunks" taken out of you all through your career. People who feel the necessity to put another's accomplishments down do this have a problem (most of the time they are bullies) and it's not your problem unless you allow it to be.

If you find that my comments "belittle" you, then you can wallow in your feelings or move on. I have "been there and done that". You can move forward with excellence and leave the ignorance behind as only your thoughts in this matter will affect you. I choose to move on. What is your choice?
Ok... Well, I've already moved on, hence why I deleted the post because it's not even worth arguing about. Thank you for your response, I heard what you had to say, and it's noted.

Brigade4Radiant

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Haters are going to hate.

You have to work your hardest in Medschool so you know for a fact that most of those haters will not even deserve a diagnosis from you.

TaylorMDhopeful

Here comes trouble!
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Oakland, PA
Status
Medical Student
I second this
Even without any form of affirmative action there will still be people out there that think because a person is from a certain background, ethnicity, religion, etc... that they don't belong in whatever exclusive group that they are a part of. Doing away with it just because of the perception of some people would not change the situation and only make matters worse.

AbbyNormal

Yes. No. Maybe.
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
I am a RN in a very busy hospital that does lots of open heart surgeries. Most of the CV surgeons are not Caucasian. They are outstanding physicians and surgeons and I have enormous admiration for them. A few years back a patient requested a "white American doctor" to perform his surgery. Okay that is his choice so he got his wish but what he didn't know was his choice of doctor was slow and had longer pump runs than any of the "foreign" doctors. He would have been my last choice to perform my surgery. People sometimes are shallow and prejudiced and sometimes it comes back to bite them in the butt.

Work hard and be good at your craft and don't loose any sleep when other people are ignorant.

Brigade4Radiant

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
AA is necessary to equate the great injustices that were done in the past as well as institutional racism. We are all God's children but some of God's children grow up more disadvantaged at a higher % than God's other children.

Also keep in mind that if a person with low stats gets in and they are a minority they had to have got in by AA. But many ORMs get in with low stats so how is that justified? If AA was disadvantaged see Cali state colleges people still say that the URM students didn't get in on their own qualifications yet Prop 206 disbanded AA in Cali schools. People will still find ways to dislike you don't think that getting rid of a government bill with change that.

From a previous post.

924 Asains got in a span of 3 years with MCATs equal or below 26

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appli...agridasian.pdf

4521 White applicants got in a span of 3 years with MCATs of 26 or below

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appli...agridwhite.pdf

2409 Black applicants got in with MCATs of 26 or below and below in a span of 3 years

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appli...agridblack.pdf

1653 Hispanic applicants got in with MCATs of 26 or below and in a span of 3 years

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appli...ridhispnic.pdf
So you are very wrong in assuming that the lower range of scores are due to URM

Since 4062 URMs get in with MCATs of 26 or below it is due to AA but if 5475 ORMs get in with 26s and below it is due to hard work

This reminds me of a famous poetry line by Chappelle "White people, White people...if a white person does well it's success!!! Black people, black people...if a black person does well it's suspect!!!"

Also while the HBCUs have lower stats than average MD schools accoriding to the 2009 MSAR Meharry and Howard had MCAT avgs of 26 and Morehouse had an MCAT avg of 27 and the overall GPA of those is a 3.5. Which means that they are on the same level of upper quartile of D.O schools.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
AA is necessary to equate the great injustices that were done in the past as well as institutional racism. We are all God's children but some of God's children grow up more disadvantaged at a higher % than God's other children.

Also keep in mind that if a person with low stats gets in and they are a minority they had to have got in by AA. But many ORMs get in with low stats so how is that justified? If AA was disadvantaged see Cali state colleges people still say that the URM students didn't get in on their own qualifications yet Prop 206 disbanded AA in Cali schools. People will still find ways to dislike you don't think that getting rid of a government bill with change that.

From a previous post.

924 Asains got in a span of 3 years with MCATs equal or below 26
4521 White applicants got in a span of 3 years with MCATs of 26 or below
2409 Black applicants got in with MCATs of 26 or below and below in a
1653 Hispanic applicants got in with MCATs of 26 or below and in a span of 3 years

So you are very wrong in assuming that the lower range of scores are due to URM

Since 4062 URMs get in with MCATs of 26 or below it is due to AA but if 5475 ORMs get in with 26s and below it is due to hard work

This reminds me of a famous poetry line by Chappelle "White people, White people...if a white person does well it's success!!! Black people, black people...if a black person does well it's suspect!!!"

Also while the HBCUs have lower stats than average MD schools accoriding to the 2009 MSAR Meharry and Howard had MCAT avgs of 26 and Morehouse had an MCAT avg of 27 and the overall GPA of those is a 3.5. Which means that they are on the same level of upper quartile of D.O schools.
You left out a kinda important piece of the puzzle- the rate of acceptance.

Although it seems like a lot of asians or whites got in with a 26 it was with a 19% acceptance rate.. For whites it was a 26% acceptance rate.

For blacks, it was 69%.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt-raceeth.htm (click on the links at the top for the numbers divided by race)

I have 2 issues with affirmative action:
First, it is to make up for institutional racism for hundreds of years yet some of our families (white or black or hispanic or whatever) have only been in this country for decades... how is that just?

Second, it basically says, "you can't do it yourself. We're gonna have to help you get in." Personally I am not sure I can think of any example of such discrete racism. Even worse it is under the guise of ending racism.

Last edited:

Brigade4Radiant

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
You left out a kinda important piece of the puzzle- the rate of acceptance.

Although it seems like a lot of asians or whites got in with a 26 it was with a 19% acceptance rate.. For whites it was a 26% acceptance rate.

For blacks, it was 69%.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt-raceeth.htm (click on the links at the top for the numbers divided by race)

I have 2 issues with affirmative action:
First, it is to make up for institutional racism for hundreds of years yet some of our families (white or black or hispanic or whatever) have only been in this country for decades... how is that just?

Second, it basically says, "you can't do it yourself. We're gonna have to help you get in." Personally I am not sure I can think of any example of such discrete racism. Even worse it is under the guise of ending racism.
I already acknowledged in my post that URMs get in at a higher % but it is seats that matters. Also the number of Asians applying greatly outnumbers URMs. The overall acceptance rate for blacks is lower than that of Asians or whites. Also Whites get in at a higher % than Asians despite having 3 times the number. More Asians are hurt by White AA.

Music majors also get in a a higher % than any other major with the same GPA and MCAT is that AA(Around 60%)?

As for your first point Jim Crow ended like 50 years ago also the The Tuskegee syphilis experiment ended in 1972 in where black patients were experimented on and left to die. Also the entire nation benefited by exploitation of URMs even if your family just immigrated here you still have the benefit since America was able to vastly increase its capital due to slavery. And institutional racism hasn't ended it at all by a long shot.

As for your 2nd point some URMs need help because they are in a higher % in a disadvantageous state that can be linked to racist policies like neighborhood exclusion and the "White flight".

Also people assume that just because an URM is in they get in due to AA but I have proven that more ORMs get in with lower stats. The percentage doesn't matter as much since seats are finite. Also URMs get in at a higher % because overall they constitute 6% of Medstudents and 2.5% of practicing physicians.

Also AA only helps one enter after that it is all fair since Residencies don't abide by AA.

And in Cali state schools blacks still get accused of getting by with AA when it was disbanded like a decade ago.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
This has turned into a debate on AA which is not the purpose of this forum. If you want to debate AA, take it to Sociopolitical.

Status
Not open for further replies.