When should i apply for FAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the FAP goes on a calendar basis, so I am just trying to get an idea for when to apply for it. I am applying in the 2014 cycle. So essentially does the FAp for 2014 open Jan. 1st? Or do I have to wait until May when the applications open?

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC said:
When should I submit my Fee Assistance Program application?
You should submit your Fee Assistance Program application well in advance of when you plan to register for an MCAT Exam or submit your AMCAS application. The AAMC will begin accepting Fee Assistance Program applications for the 2013 calendar year on January 3, 2013. Applications will be accepted until late December.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/148246/fap_faq_7.html

I literally Googled "amcas fap" and this was a direct link under the first result. :p

I understand the FAP goes on a calendar basis, so I am just trying to get an idea for when to apply for it. I am applying in the 2014 cycle. So essentially does the FAp for 2014 open Jan. 1st? Or do I have to wait until May when the applications open?
January 1,2014

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply early, but, in my experience, it is not the end of the world to apply right before you register for the MCAT. I applied for the FAP and was approved within 72 hours of submitting the required paperwork.

Sorry, I guess I was typing it as a question in google and it obviously took me to the FAP info (which I read) but I still couldnt find the actual date. Thank you

I have already taken the MCAT, I am just trying to lighten the load of applying since it is going to eat everything my wife and I have ever saved for otherwise. I would more or less want to apply early just to get it off my mind.

So just to clarify: If I am accepted for the FAP (lets say Jan 20th or something). Then when I begin my application in May, I will be able to apply to a dozen or so schools for free? There is nothing else I have to do, when I apply in June, it will be in the system that I was accepted for FAP back in January?

yes if you get the fap you can apply for free and it also allows you not to pay for secondaries

Reactions: 1 user
just make sure you let schools know you got fap when it comes time for secondary to waive the fee

just make sure you let schools know you got fap when it comes time for secondary to waive the fee

Hi,

May I ask where specifically would you be able to notify them about your FAP status? And also, is there a list of schools that do waive secondary fees?

Thanks.

When you apply it is stated somewhere in your app, so some schools automatically waive your secondary fee. Others would want "proof" of FAP, so send them the email you get from the FAP people. I think nearly all schools waive your secondary fees. GL
Hi,

May I ask where specifically would you be able to notify them about your FAP status? And also, is there a list of schools that do waive secondary fees?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks.
Some will ask for the FAP document email of approval

Definitely apply early, but, in my experience, it is not the end of the world to apply right before you register for the MCAT. I applied for the FAP and was approved within 72 hours of submitting the required paperwork.

APPLY FOR FAP ASAP. REPEAT. APPLY FOR FAP ASAP.

You want time for any hiccups and/or disputes. MCAT dates are already filling fast so you want your FAP now. Plus, you have access to MSAR included.

Most schools will automatically send you have FAP from your AMCAS and will waive the fee. Some will ask you to email you confirmation.

APPLY FOR FAP ASAP. REPEAT. APPLY FOR FAP ASAP.

You want time for any hiccups and/or disputes. MCAT dates are already filling fast so you want your FAP now. Plus, you have access to MSAR included.

Most schools will automatically send you have FAP from your AMCAS and will waive the fee. Some will ask you to email you confirmation.

+1 agreed. Apply ASAP and it will be good for your entire cycle until January 1, 2015. The approval process starts to slow down as it steadily approaches May/June when people are gearing up to submit their AMCAS, so better to submit it now and just get it out of the way.

When you apply it is stated somewhere in your app, so some schools automatically waive your secondary fee. Others would want "proof" of FAP, so send them the email you get from the FAP people. I think nearly all schools waive your secondary fees. GL

Some will ask for the FAP document email of approval

Thanks for the information!

I'm planning to apply for more than 20 medical schools. I know that FAP waives one's secondary fees, but is there a maximum number of schools for the fee waiver? I know that FAP allows you to apply for 15 schools without paying the primary fees, but I'm not sure if it'll apply towards secondaries.