When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the begining of application cycles is coming near, I am wonder what I should do. I have read previous posts, but each situation is unique. Well here is mine, my GPA, unfortunatly,is less than average, 2.65-ish, due to stupid reasons, I just took the MCATs on friday and I think I did all right, my averages were around 27. EC's include job shadowing, indian student association, Co-Chair for external publicity commitee, and I have a part time job. I plan on applying to all 8 schools, but I really would like to go to Scholl. Should I wait until after second semester when I pull my GPA up but less seats, or should I apply as soon as the application cycle opens up?

Members don't see this ad.

9 schools homie, not 8..

Western in Cali is the newest to the family...

I'd wait till I got my MCAT scores and then apply if they were good...

Some schools have cutoffs. You should wait until you get your mcat. To be sure, you should contact the admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't the new format MCAT scores get released within something like a month?

It's something like 6 weeks until the application opens, so you may have your score back by then.

The earlier you are, the better. Although there are STILL students being accepted to some schools. When I applied last year though, I had all of the interviews I wanted within a couple of weeks.

Scholl is a fantastic school, so your GPA might not be a little below par. But, don't quote me on that one because I don't attend there.

thanks for the responses, also, I was looking at the application, and I noticed there was a section where you can put if you have a DPM, is that for informational purposes, or is it beneficial?

thanks for the responses, also, I was looking at the application, and I noticed there was a section where you can put if you have a DPM, is that for informational purposes, or is it beneficial?

What section? Is it asking you for the name and contact info for a DPM you've shadowed?

If it is, I think it's probably good form to let your DPM know that you would like to use their name during your application process.

If this is what your talking about, (I honestly can barely remember the application), then it IS beneficial, IMO.