when should i apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

checklinebig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im unsure when to start applying. Heres my situation, I got a degree in psych and then decided to go to med school. I am now taking the prereqs and am more than half way done. I finished gen chem and will finish with orgo next semester. i plan to take the mcats this upcoming summer and will need to take a semester of physic 2 and two bio classes after that. So when should i apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Im unsure when to start applying. Heres my situation, I got a degree in psych and then decided to go to med school. I am now taking the prereqs and am more than half way done. I finished gen chem and will finish with orgo next semester. i plan to take the mcats this upcoming summer and will need to take a semester of physic 2 and two bio classes after that. So when should i apply?

Not next year but the year after. Also, take your pre-reqs first, then the MCAT. It will save you a lot of studying. Apply in June whatever year you choose.

I'd check with your scheduling for your pre-recs first. One mis-scheduled class on your part could mean waiting another year before you can apply. And when you apply is really dependent on when you think you will be a good candidate. Lots people will take some time off to do research before applying.

But the most efficient timeline is to apply this upcoming summer because you can apply for med school with grades pending I think. If you are a really strong candidate.

Otherwise I would advise applying in June of 2010 or later.

Members don't see this ad :)
p.s. mmmcdowe

pre-meds won't say they built the pyramids because the average age of acceptance is like 23 or something, which means they would lower their chances by trying to be a non-traditional applicant! ;):D

or they can apply to UCSF, I hear they love the non-traditionals over there :)

If you're still going to have to take prereqs next fall and into the Spring of '10, I don't see any benefit to taking the MCAT next summer; why not wait and take it in April or May of '10 after you've taken Physics and save yourself a bunch of unnecessary self-teaching?

Or else you can do like others have done, take the MCAT in the spring/summer of 2009, and apply before you finish taking all of your pre-reqs. ONLY do this is you take some diagnostic tests and prove that you are able to nail the MCAT without finishing the pre-reqs first. This is a risky bet, but I know many non-trads that have gone down this path and still received acceptances.

bro u have nothing to worry about!!!!!!!!
you rocked every class
gna get a 45 on the mcat!!!!!!!!
haha its just a matter of which school and scholarship you choose!!!