when should I choose my speciality confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Little confused by this. I’m suppose to have research in the speciality to which I apply. But I won’t know for sure about which speciality I want until rotations, but by that point isn’t it too late to start doing research in that field?

should we start reaching out to doctors in the specialties we’re interested in as M1s and start like shadowing them, so we have a better idea of what research to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it a thing? Do Med students regularly shadow specialties before rotations? I’ve never heard of it
They do at my school. It’s a good way to explore interests as an MS1/2 before you even get on a clinical rotation. Also ideal for specialties that aren’t core rotations.

Doctors are used to having all sorts of med students on their service so it could be a good way to explore your interests.

Reactions: 1 users
it depends - usually people have inclination towards one field or the other. Start with medicine vs surgical. Some research in a field is better than none - doesn't have to be in your field you ultimately choose - everyone has gone through the same process so everyone understands. In my class there were a few derm or ophtho or ortho people who knew that's what they wanted and started looking for mentors as M1s. Mortals take their time. I had no idea what I wanted to do until before applications. I even did extra 2 weeks of ortho during break to figure out what I want to do. The more competitive the filed, the earlier you need to figure it out and start doing the groundwork. I figured out that I loved derm as a third year resident during elective rotations but it was sadly too late for me as a non-trad to reinvent the wheel.
In short, start some research and continue to figure out what you want. There is no penalty in continuing to explore :)

good luck

My school is understandably not allowing any shadowing for the time being :(. We were told just to talk to doctors and residents of different specialties to try to get an idea of what it’s like instead.

I picked my specialty in third year. ended up doing research in it after my epiphany.

I'm 2 months away from applying and still not completely sure what I'm going to apply.

Shadowing now is a good idea. Research early in med school in a different field looks better than no research at all. You will have time for specialty specific research, if you need it, later.

Reactions: 1 user
I shadowed a bunch of specialties in M2 that weren’t part of M3 curriculum; ENT, radiology, urology, etc

Reactions: 1 user