Medical When should I expect to hear back from schools after updating grades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-3.3 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, graduated undergrad in May 2019
-Currently enrolled in Masters of Medical Sciences (MAMS) program to raise GPA
-State: New York
-MCAT: 500 -> retook to 505

-Research: Research internship with 100+ hours of clinical research at renowned cancer hospital (includes patient interaction), coauthor on 1 publication, coauthor on multiple abstracts that have been submitted to national conferences
-Psychology research (30 hours), no publications

-Shadowing: 200+ hours of clinical internship/shadowing under primary care physician (unpaid medical assistant with direct patient interaction)
-Around 150 total hours shadowing primary care, oncology, pulmonology, surgery, ENT, and gastroenterology

-Volunteering: Volunteer with local community center to help rebuild homes for refugees (20 hours)
-Volunteer in third-world country with organization that works to provide education for young children (30 hours)
-Volunteer at local religious center to help coordinate youth events, overall procedure, and necessities drive for incoming refugees into local area (50 hours)
-Hospital volunteer (50 hours) - helping out in waiting rooms, preparing patient rooms, overall help in hospital procedure

-LORs: Prehealth committee letter + 3 doctors + 1 professor LORs

I applied this cycle to MD and DO schools but have not heard anything back yet besides 3 rejections. I am planning on sending grade update in December after my first semester of MAMS. I understand my application is not very strong but could I expect to hear back or would it be a reach at this point?

Thank you!
When will your final grades from first semester get posted? That's likely why the wait.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I will be sending them in mid-December when the semester ends. Granted the grades are good, could I expect to hear back from some schools?

I would never say "expect", but I would never count it out until after the Choose My School timeline runs its full course. This is why networking is so important prior to applying. What does your program director think? From my past experience, I would often wait until at least 1 semester of grades comes in from a SMP before presenting the files to my committee to discuss extending interview invitations for those applicants I wanted to keep an eye on. Whether my faculty feel similarly excited, that's never predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.