Medical When should I hear back from MD interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

AMCAS had some transcript trouble with my app that meant I didn't get my apps out until around mid-late August. When would you say I should lose my optimism about MD interviews? AACOMAS didn't lose the transcript so it was completed earlier and I have received four DO interviews (I declined one, was accepted at 2 and I am waiting on news from the third)
It depends on where you applied MD wise. If you applied smartly (to your appropriate safeties) then I would say you can still expect something. Once end of December rolls around I would start thinking about where you should be submitting your enrollment fee to acceptances you have OR reinventing your app if you are set on going MD.

Members don't see this ad.

3.2 undergrad (3.8+ for last three years) 3.74 SMP gpa from BU. 515 mcat. Lots of volunteer work over 3 years. I’ve been placed on hold at GW and NYMC. No Rs yet.
Pretty solid app. Hold out. Hopefully something comes through soon. Medical school is competitive and sometimes a crap shoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised that you've gotten no love yet. There are med schools that reward reinvention. In general, no IIs from MD but T-giving means start working on Plan B. But, you might get an II tomorrow, or in March. If you don't want ot be a DO, then dump the DO accepts, and improve your app for MD.

What was your school list?

In state schools FL
Tulane
BU (my SMP)
GW
EVMS
Jefferson
GW
uIC
VCU
Miami
TCU
Howard
Nova MD
Drexel
Penn state
If you're not African-American, Howard was a donation. Ditto UIC if you're not from ILL. Not getting any love from BU is a concern; your chances normally would have been best there, and at your state school(s).

Your DO accepts rule out a bad LOR.

But, you might get an II tomorrow, or in March.

10. I figured Howard was worth a ago because I was a sociology major in undergrad and did a research on healthcare delivery to vulnerable communities as undergrad and am doing an ethnographic study on free Muslim clinics for my grad thesis. Given their emphasis on care to underserved I figured it was worth a go.
Teaching moment: there's a vast gulf between your being interesting in serving communities of color, and actually doing it. Walk the walk, and don't merely talk the talk.

Thanks! Also another’s question. I got rejected from WSU today too. Does the fact that I submitted both apps around same time and heard back same time mean that I should be hearing back from lost schools soon?
No. With some schools, you may never hear from.
Here is the healthiest way to look at this. You are rejected until you get that acceptance email in your inbox. As such you should always be working on your plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.