When should I plan to take my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ottersrcute4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question gets asked a lot and I have read through some of the other threads but each situation is unique. So as I understand it the application cycle opens June 1st. My last week of classes ends May 16th and I wanted to give myself at least a month (if not 6 weeks) of open space to buckle down and focus only on the DAT which would mean taking it mid or late June.

The important question is, will this put me in the late batch of applications?

How late will this put me and how great of a disadvantage will this be?

Another element to this is that I will be taking a prep course during the spring, so I will be studying for the DAT during the semester but it will be more spread out and not as focused as when classes end.

ALSO, I am having trouble finding a comprehensive layout of how the application cycles proceed, when interviews are sent out, when the average student send their completed application out, ect. I really want to fully understand the application cycle process, but I don't. Granted I have only used google to look for information.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this question gets asked a lot and I have read through some of the other threads but each situation is unique. So as I understand it the application cycle opens June 1st. My last week of classes ends May 16th and I wanted to give myself at least a month (if not 6 weeks) of open space to buckle down and focus only on the DAT which would mean taking it mid or late June.

The important question is, will this put me in the late batch of applications?

How late will this put me and how great of a disadvantage will this be?

Another element to this is that I will be taking a prep course during the spring, so I will be studying for the DAT during the semester but it will be more spread out and not as focused as when classes end.

ALSO, I am having trouble finding a comprehensive layout of how the application cycles proceed, when interviews are sent out, when the average student send their completed application out, ect. I really want to fully understand the application cycle process, but I don't. Granted I have only used google to look for information.

Thank you!
First batch this year wasnt even mailed out until the last week of June. Just because the portal opens early June does not mean that the submitted app gets mailed right away. So you have about the 6 weeks that you said you require from mid May to late June to study then take the test. Even late July is still early.. Gl

You won't be late with a June DAT, as said above, first batch was sent out during the last week of June. Even if your application was sent at the end of July, that would have been 5th batch.

Each school is different (some start early, some wait until September to start) and each student is different (residency, transcript(s) DAT scores in, LORs in, etc.). You should check the timelines and interview thread from this current cycle to see when schools that you'll be applying to sent out interview invites.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-submitted-received-verified-mailed.1012536/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...cceptance-rejection-thread-2013-2014.1019246/

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the AADSAS FAQs link in my signature for a comprehensive overview.

Also, honestly, your situation isn't unique at all--just do a little bit of digging and you'll find lots of advice given to people in your situation. :)

You probably want to to take it no later than Mid July to remain competitive for pre-Dec interviews. It takes time for aadsas to receive your scores.