When should i retake the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shilpa1125

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently decided to retake the MCAT, but I don't know when to take it. I'm going to be a senior next year BUT i'm taking a year off before going to medical school, so applications aren't an issue. The last testing date for the year in the US is September 8th, but I'm going to be out of the country from next week until August 19th or so. I can study a little there, but I'll be working about 40 hours a week there in addition to exploring the city and all that. So most of my studying will be done in the three weeks back in the US until my MCAT.

I won't have to study verbal at all for the new MCAT, considering I did one point better on my diagnostic than on my actual test, so I think I've got verbal down, but the other two sections will need a lot of studying. Should I go ahead and take it on September 8th with only three major weeks of studying, OR wait until the first January testing date. I'm worried about doing that because I feel like I might forget everything I've spent so long learning already. I really wanted to take the test at the end of September or early October for it to be the perfect time. I feel like the main thing I need practice with is just taking the test, and review can be somewhat less intensive at this point than just practice taking more tests. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I've recently decided to retake the MCAT, but I don't know when to take it. I'm going to be a senior next year BUT i'm taking a year off before going to medical school, so applications aren't an issue. The last testing date for the year in the US is September 8th, but I'm going to be out of the country from next week until August 19th or so. I can study a little there, but I'll be working about 40 hours a week there in addition to exploring the city and all that. So most of my studying will be done in the three weeks back in the US until my MCAT.

I won't have to study verbal at all for the new MCAT, considering I did one point better on my diagnostic than on my actual test, so I think I've got verbal down, but the other two sections will need a lot of studying. Should I go ahead and take it on September 8th with only three major weeks of studying, OR wait until the first January testing date. I'm worried about doing that because I feel like I might forget everything I've spent so long learning already. I really wanted to take the test at the end of September or early October for it to be the perfect time. I feel like the main thing I need practice with is just taking the test, and review can be somewhat less intensive at this point than just practice taking more tests. Any advice?

I'd go for January . . . . why rush it if you're not applying till next cycle?

Good Luck :luck: