When should I send a thank you note?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I'm srsly wondering what the right protocol is :help:

It depends. Some schools will tell you explicitly to not write thank you's. Others say it's okay. You can email the admissions office or call and ask if you really want to find out.

Im pretty sure most people here will tell you not to do it because, as nice as it is that your mamma taught you to be polite, sending letters doesn't factor into their decision about you at all.

It depends. Some schools will tell you explicitly to not write thank you's. Others say it's okay. You can email the admissions office or call and ask if you really want to find out.

Im pretty sure most people here will tell you not to do it because, as nice as it is that your mamma taught you to be polite, sending letters doesn't factor into their decision about you at all.

I see, but just to clarify, this isn't for a medical school interview. It's for a job interview...does that make a difference in when to send thank you letters?

I'd definitely send it. Don't wait for Monday, most likely they still check their email over the weekend even if they don't respond. It may or may not factor into their decision, but it's a nice gesture that is generally appreciated.

I see, but just to clarify, this isn't for a medical school interview. It's for a job interview...does that make a difference in when to send thank you letters?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you doing it because your momma taught you to be polite, or you have this delusion that it might somehow affect your chances at acceptance?

Just wondering...when should I send a follow-up thank you email after a Friday afternoon interview? I know the normal rule is to send one within 24 hrs, but if I send it today, couldn't it get lost in the flood of weekend email? Should I send one Monday morning instead so it's at the top of their mail?

Are you doing it because your momma taught you to be polite, or you have this delusion that it might somehow affect your chances at acceptance?

Either way-- I don't think there's a hard and fast "protocol" for thank-you notes. Send it within a couple days.