when should I start applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of what to do, I take the mcat for the first time in august... but I am not sure of when to start applying, since my applicaton will not be considered complete until I have my scores..........thanks in advance for replies.

Members don't see this ad.

this question comes up a lot. Have you done a search for related threads?

It depends on
1) how strong the rest of your application is
2) how willing you are to take a year off before med school. (I assume you are at Yale?)

FYI, some schools don't do rolling admission, e.g. Pitt.

sunflower79 :)

Hey......I'm doing the same thing. Just fill out all your stuff now, send it in pretty soon, and that way your folder at most schools will be complete except for your mcat scores. You may be filling out many secondaries before you even take the mcat. If your app looks good when it is complete in August, you can get in somewhere. If your app looks good when it is complete in October/Nov, you can get in somewhere. Just make sure you don't wait until you take or get back your scores to start the process.

Don't worry about all the naysayers who tell you it's a horrible idea to do the august mcat the same cycle you apply. Is it preferred? No. But look at the numbers.......... A good % of people do take the august mcat, and > 90% of them are taking it to get into medical school that cycle. Sure, there is a small % of students taking it a year early in august, but I can assure you this does not represent a large % of august takers.

If your app is solid save the mcat scores, then certainly apply this cycle with an august test date. Plenty of people get in with august mcats.....about half the people I know who got in last cycle(represents 25-30 students) got in with august mcats.

Members don't see this ad :)
If mcat is a strong point for you, then it'll probably be fine. If not, taking it the first time in Aug & applying the same cycle is risky. You might end up losing your app fees if you get your scores back & then decide not to continue applying this year.

From my experience doing that last year, here are the drawbacks:

1) while folks are working on their 2ndaries, you'll be studying for the mcat. I hardly had enough time to study, let alone keep up w/ 2ndary essays last summer.

2) it was torture to have to wait so long for interviews! I got my first interview in Nov (not scheduled til Dec), while others apps who didn't have the aug disadvantage & applied early were soon to be receiving acceptances in Dec.

3) THE LONG WAIT post-interview!

4) West coast schools take their good 'ole time, so it wasn't too bad, but I felt the aug mcat put me @ a disadvantage @ east coast schools, which move much faster through the cycle.

Depends on your own situation, schedule, finances. If you're younger than 25, then I'd say take your time to build up a strong app, work on essays & apply next year w/o the Aug disadvantage. For me, it was like the "curse of the Aug mcat"!

If you have a poor mcat score, it's going to be a risky proposition to apply with an april or august mcat.

Just look at this board....plenty of people in here were getting straight acceptances at a variety of schools(state, top private, mid-tier private, low-tier private) in february and march. With an august mcat and a good application you are just going to have to wait a little longer for the ball to start moving. I don't see how this is a huge deal.

Honestly, I don't think anyone should avoid applying because they are taking the august mcat. Avoid applying because you don't think you are ready or want to take a year off, but don't avoid applying because you have some irrational fear that all the acceptances are gone by november and you can only hope to get waitlisted with an august mcat. Sure, there are lots of 3.5/27 applicants who took the august mcat and didn't have a great deal of success. They may have fared exactly the same with an april mcat and having their folders complete by july.

The real sucky part about the august mcat is that you have to pick schools on your amcas before you even sit for the mcat. This could result in a few hundred dollars going down the drain in either direction(applying to too many reach schools or too many safety schools).