When should I start MCAT review? Orgo 1 &2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

estradiol9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore undergrad at NJIT/Rutgers. I've completed a good portion of med-school requirements including: 1 semester of calculus, 2 semesters of biology, 1 semester of general chemistry, 1 semester of physics, and 2 semesters of english/humanities. From what I've read, all I have left is one more semester of general chemistry, a semester of physics, and two of organic chemistry.

When should I start MCAT reviewing? I want to take an MCAT prep course in addition to studying/reviewing on my own. When do most people take their MCATS? Also.. do I have to wait until I'm done with all these courses until taking an MCAT prep course? Is organic chemistry 1 AND 2 on the MCATs?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, you have all the difficult content to still learn. Physics II is by far the toughest material, and Gen Chem II is probably tested the most. Orgo isn't heavy on the MCAT, but you have to know things from both semesters. Bio is where I think one can get away the most without classes, although it's still a lot of content.

I started MCAT review about 3 years after I took all my pre-reqs (I was done by freshman year) and I did the Kaplan thing for about a month and a half (USELESS, I felt no more prepared afterwards than I did before hand) and then spent about 3 weeks studying on my own and went from 27 on my first FL (24 on my diagnostic) to mid-30s on FLs (and my test is in a week).

I majored in science though so part of the low scores initially were just that I didn't know the right equations, also I have never learned any sort of physiology whatsoever so I reviewed after that, my score just shot up, and its been relatively low stress. I think people freak out too much about the MCAT. After doing a few practice exams I've come to realize that in the end, its a reasoning test, covering all that material doesn't take that long, I did it within a few weeks of just studying 4-5 hours every day and taking 2 days off a week to do non-MCAT related things, I don't feel burnt out and I'm doing ok on practice exams now, at least as far as knowing the content (most of the questions I miss are because of stupid mistakes, misreading questions, etc). Don't stress out TOO much over it.

Start studying for the MCAT AFTER you finish ALL of your pre-reqs.

quite possible the single best advice given on this forum, yet people, including myself (UNFORTUNATELY) go against it. Don't start studying until you are done with your pre-reqs. Also, do not attempt to take the MCAT unless you've taken all your pre-reqs. I've also made, actuall, i am in the process of making that mistake of teaching myself physics II right now, while im enrolled in physics II and my test is a month away. It SIGNIFICANTLY slowed my progress