when should I start studying for april?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDtoBe777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should I start the studying ? :(

Members don't see this ad.

MDtoBe777 said:
When should I start the studying ? :(

you can review material that you haven't looked at in a long time any time now, but i wouldn't start really diligent studying until at least Christmas break. Then do it on a regimented schedule with lots of practice tests and lots of time for review. Practice tests/questions is the key. And if you have trouble with verbal, read...read....read..anything you can get your hands on, newspapers and journals in addition to classic novels.

not for a long time.

study for 3 months prior to the exam semi-hard (20 hours a week).

as of now, read the wall street journal or the economist everyday. try and finish a book a week.

-a

shawty ya'head said:
not for a long time.

study for 3 months prior to the exam semi-hard (20 hours a week).

as of now, read the wall street journal or the economist everyday. try and finish a book a week.

-a

That'll probably do nothing for your verbal score..... but it may leave you a bit more business savvy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, hello, are we still in high-school here? You should have started yesterday. This is it, the big time.

sacrament said:
Uh, hello, are we still in high-school here? You should have started yesterday. This is it, the big time.
I disagree with this one. Studying for 8 months, 40hours a week probably won't get you anywhere better than doing it for 3 months. People who get really high MCAT scores, naturally just have skills (and maybe some lucK). I'm not dumb, but I could study for a year, full-time and there's no way I'd break a 36. Plus, if you started studying now for the April MCAT, you'd be really bored of the material by the time April came around and you'd forget any specific details you studied back in October.

Don't start studying before mid-December. Even that might be a little early imo.

Potato! said:
I disagree with this one. Studying for 8 months, 40hours a week probably won't get you anywhere better than doing it for 3 months. People who get really high MCAT scores, naturally just have skills (and maybe some lucK). I'm not dumb, but I could study for a year, full-time and there's no way I'd break a 36. Plus, if you started studying now for the April MCAT, you'd be really bored of the material by the time April came around and you'd forget any specific details you studied back in October.

Don't start studying before mid-December. Even that might be a little early imo.

Have fun in business school.

It depends on your situation. If you are gonna be taking classes in the spring, then start studying by November, because you won't have time to study hard core 30 hrs per week in the spring. If you aren't taking classes or are taking a light load, then start at the least by end Nov. or during Christmas break.

I wouldn't wait til mid January, because there is a lot of material to review, and you are gonna stress yourself out if you have too much on your plate.

I think maybe by beginning of December you should start studying.

Do a practice test a week and make sure to constantly review where you went wrong.

I recommend Princeton review as a prep company.

They have awesome material.

5 people in my class got 28's, one got a 30, and one got a 34.........all went up nearly 10-14 points from original diagnostics.

I agree with Psycho Doctor's suggestion. Take a practice test now without studying just so you have an idea what you're getting into, come up with a study schedule, start light review, and after christmas do it up hard core. I studied intensely for 2 months and I wish I would have started 2 months earlier. Most med school admissions people I talk to say their most successful applicants start studying 6 months before the MCAT. How intense they studied(?), but they at least started. I'm going to retake in April so I'll be suffering along with you. :luck:

Thanks for the replies. I got a 27 in August (11 Bio, 10 Physical, 6! verbal). Yea..verbal sucked. I think I can get physical up to an 11, and maybe bio up a little more. I'm just so worried about verbal. I did the EK stuff and was scoring 10's. I dunno what happened. Anyway, have you heard of Columbia review for verbal?

MDtoBe777 said:
Thanks for the replies. I got a 27 in August (11 Bio, 10 Physical, 6! verbal). Yea..verbal sucked. I think I can get physical up to an 11, and maybe bio up a little more. I'm just so worried about verbal. I did the EK stuff and was scoring 10's. I dunno what happened. Anyway, have you heard of Columbia review for verbal?

No i am unfamiliar with Columbia review for verbal, but just read, and read and read. Do plenty of verbal passages and you'll be fine. best of luck!

PSYCHO DOCTOR, are you taking the MCAT again? You took the same test as me (Form FK) and you said you had a UTI? So that obviously would have affected your score negatively. What are you using for verbal material this time around? I just started using EK 101, but was thinking of using columbia reivew also? What do you think? You seem like the MCAT guru around here. Thanks

Hi
Any suggestions for people who are using EK.. Does anyone have any opinions on starting the AO review now.. ?
Bye
zeeMD

zeeMD said:
Hi
Any suggestions for people who are using EK.. Does anyone have any opinions on starting the AO review now.. ?
Bye
zeeMD

I am studying on my own using EK materials and some Kaplan materials that I have. I'm serious when I say start studying in November, because you won't have a lot of time, especially if you'r taking upper division bio classes like I am.

Take 4R before you do any studying, then pace yourself. Start working on the EK Verbal strategy right now. However, I wouldn't start studying hardcore until Jan.

Provided one has the essential courses (reviewed physics intensively the year of the MCAT), physiology (intense) for biological science section you should need only 3 months. But treat the MCAT like a course.

I wrote in August and studied everynight from 6pm-11 or 12 everynight including weekends, starting end of May. Although I had practiced verbal all year. Because of good study habits, and taking the right courses, I will never have to write the MCAT again :cool: , so I will actually have a summer this year! :D

If you are not prepared for the April exam don't take it. I was going to write the April one, but hadn't given the prep enough time. Thus, I did gamble on a one shot wonder, but it paid off!

just dont start TOO Early...otherwise you will forget by exam time...especially physics formulas

i gave myself 4 months - studying every day. and by the time of the exam, i was pretty much at my peak. if i had to study for longer i would have gotten really bored and forgotten the material.

I don't think starting now would hurt. Depends on how crazy your schedule is during the months leading up to April. Verbal could be a good place to start now. Most people I know that study would often give up on studying verbal in place of studying the sciences because there was not enough time. If youre not a big reader, start reading now; and play around with some practice passages.

start now, and study whenever you can... then over christmas break go hardcore... there is a lot of material on this test so don't procrastinate to long!