When should I start taking FLs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who successfuly killed MCAT or practice tests when did you start taking full lengths?? Also, did you guys take notes while going over the content?

Members don't see this ad.

2-2.5 months in advanced I concentrated mostly on FLs.

To the second question: Hell yes. It is absolutely imperative that you take notes on what you got right or missed, and why on every question (right or wrong) for every practice exam you take.

I did content for 10 weeks and then practice exams for 5. Realistically that 5 was more like 3 because the time was school-test heavy. I would say practice tests are the single most important thing you can do in studying. It is when you really begin to realize what you're weak on and clarify things that you had a flawed understanding of. I would say if you have a month to devote to just that then that's fine, but the more time the better. I kind of wished I had a little more time for it, but I can't really complain about my MCAT prep.

I took the test in June

Studied hardcore from December-January, then took a FL twice a week in Feb. Then I put them up until May, when I did two a week again.

The idea being that in the 1-2 mos leading up to the test you are looking for your groove time-wise, and 4-5 mos before you are just learning about the test. The 4-5 mos part could be mostly supplanted by simple practice passages if need be, but most people feel compelled to take FLs (i did) until they feel more comfortable with the format.