• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey,

I am a ORM OH resident with a 516/3.98/3.99 MCAT/sGPA/cGPA. My primary was verified 9/11, how much that will hurt me this cycle (refer to table for secondary completions). Within multiple school threads, it appears the majority are still looking at early August.

I received Pitt's II 12 days after my secondary submission. While I hate to sound like another neurotic premed, I was wondering if this would be predictive of any future II's or could this be my one shot to make it in this cycle due to my later submission?

1603590907541.png
still early

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for your advice on that. My other question would be if it is bad if I do not have an update letter at the end of this semester?

The most I can think of for an update is just sending a simple grade update along with a note that my biomedical engineering design group presented at our (virtual) poster event, Intersections. I could possibly include the short abstract we write for Intersections as part of that letter.
Did the schools request an update?

About the Ads

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
No. I know Goro is not a supporter of Letter of Interest/Intent, which is a different letter type. But I heard update letters can be useful for school post-II or update-friendly schools around the Nov/December point. Thoughts on not having an update letter?
100% school specific. You need to find out if they even accept updates.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Correct, this would be only for "needy" or post-II receptive schools. I was just wondering whether my proposed option for the hypothetical update letter is substantial. If not, does not having an update letter look bad for me as an applicant?
I am sorry. I am not really understanding the question. Basically, if the school wants you to update them, then do it. If not, it won't help or hurt unless they specifically told you not to send updates.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was referencing to the latter part of this post. Is it information substantial enough to provide to a receptive schools in December or am I better off not sending what I mentioned above?
If you presented a poster, that's somewhat worthy of an update. Whether it will matter is school specific.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was referencing to the latter part of this post. Is it information substantial enough to provide to a receptive schools in December or am I better off not sending what I mentioned above?

I think adding to your research with the poster is good. However, you have a near perfect GPA and an amazing MCAT score. I don’t think reporting grades will change much.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I did not think the grade update would matter either for me. But I will send in the Intersections update letter with the abstract for appropriate schools.

Thank you for the advice!

I mean, if you are sending in the update with the abstract, might as well include your grades for that semester if they are good!

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.