Aug 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So I am having a difficult time processing when I should take my MCAT. Here's my current situation:
I graduate in December 2016 with B.S. Degree in Exercise Science. Then I have to take 4 pre req classes (biology, Orgo 2 + lab, Physics 1+2 and labs). I also expect to take Biochemistry just for MCAT's sake. This will be after I graduate next year. I cannot combine any of those into my schedule before graduation to avoid excess hour surcharge and I will have 13 credits each semester anyways so I don't want to overload myself. So the year 2017 should I cramp all the pre reqs+biochem for Spring 2017 and summer or spread it out all the way to fall of 2017? This means I won't be able, or be ready as I should say, to take the MCAT until 2018 in.....April?

In all sense, does this mean I should apply to med schools in 2018 or it would not be a good idea since I am taking the MCAT by then. Its been killing me if I should apply that year or after. It seems like med school applying seems to be getting further away from me. Worst case scenario I would apply in 2019 to get in 2020. 5 years!?:(kind of seems like a long stretch just for all this preparation and I need advice on the best way to narrow it down.

Reactions: MedSchoolB
Jul 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Never.

Hah, kidding. But as someone who took the MCAT pretty much right after I graduated (BS in Behavioral Neuroscience)...DO NOT do it! Especially with the new exam. Apply year after. To some medical schools, it even looks better when you've had a year off to gain some "real-life" experience (granted you are staying active in that year in between).

Jul 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Be patient. Average age for students entering medical school is around 25 anyways. You have the rest of your life...

tenblackalps

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Do not rush it, only take it when you feel you are fully prepared and do well, whatever that means to you. I think it is best to take it once, do amazing, and never have to do it again. If you plan on taking it in April 2018 (I would suggest, based on your details) you should be able to apply with the 2019 application cycle (which starts in 2018) to start medical school in 2020. Take advantage of all that time to beef up your application in leadership, community service, clinical experience, and shadowing.

Also, if you plan on taking biochem purely for the mcat I would suggest taking psych purely for the mcat as well, it really helped me. I took biochem and psych during the past spring semester and took the mcat in July, and taking both classes so soon to the test really helped me prepare well because those two classes are almost 50% of the test.

Reactions: MedSchoolB
OP
J
Aug 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Do not rush it, only take it when you feel you are fully prepared and do well, whatever that means to you. I think it is best to take it once, do amazing, and never have to do it again. If you plan on taking it in April 2018 (I would suggest, based on your details) you should be able to apply with the 2019 application cycle (which starts in 2018) to start medical school in 2020.
Huh? Sorry I lost you in the last part there. The 2019 application cycle is in 2018? And that's to get in med school in 2020? That's how I understood it. Also, I have read somewhere that there will be an MCAT date in January of 2016. So will they have MCAT every January now? If that's the case then after I complete my pre reqs and hopefully prepared for the MCAT then I could take the MCAT in January 2018 and have it ready by the time the 2018 application cycle starts to get in med school in 2019? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the advice so far :)