When should I take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binderpaper

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on studying for the MCAT and taking it next summer (September 2019). I graduate college in Spring 2020, and and am then going to do an SMP (August 2020 to May 2021). I will apply for med school the following summer (start to apply June 2021). Will my MCAT be valid at that point?

People also say not to study for MCAT during an SMP, so I don't really see any other good times for a retake.

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT would be valid for 3 years for most schools, if not, all. My friend retook her MCAT mid summer after her SMP and still got in some schools. Ideally, you don't want to have the mindset of taking it twice that way you can kill it the first time around.

does 3 years mean the time from when you took the MCAT to the time you start med school? or from the time you took MCAT to the time you applied?

does 3 years mean the time from when you took the MCAT to the time you start med school? or from the time you took MCAT to the time you applied?
From when you took it to the time you applied since that is when schools are looking at your application