When Should I take my MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkdude97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the second semester of my sophomore year and finishing with the orgo and physics series which would complete all of my pre-reqs. Should i be taking my MCAT about a year from now if I do not want to take a gap year before applying for med schools? And should i just simply be doing light review in the months prior to the months where i start seriously studying?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going straight through from college, you will be applying to med schools in the June after your junior year. You can take the April MCAT and still have your scores back in time for applying (so that you can decide whether to take a year off/retake). If you're okay with applying before you know your score, you can take the May MCAT as well.

If you're going straight through from college, you will be applying to med schools in the June after your junior year. You can take the April MCAT and still have your scores back in time for applying (so that you can decide whether to take a year off/retake). If you're okay with applying before you know your score, you can take the May MCAT as well.
so i guess any mcat that is april or before if i want to go straight in? is taking it twice (if i dont score well the first time) looked down upon or is it like the SAT where its not terrible, thanks

I would honestly reccomend taking the coming summer and studying for the mcat and then taking it fall but idk how much biochem you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i guess any mcat that is april or before if i want to go straight in? is taking it twice (if i dont score well the first time) looked down upon or is it like the SAT where its not terrible, thanks

Yes, April or before is fine. Do not go into this giving yourself the option of taking it twice. Take it once. For several reasons. First, some schools average your scores. Second, you don't want to take a 7-hour exam twice.

Reactions: 1 user
I would honestly reccomend taking the coming summer and studying for the mcat and then taking it fall but idk how much biochem you know.
yeah i'll actually be taking biochem this summer, so might it be useful to study for the mcat alongside with the class?

yeah i'll actually be taking biochem this summer, so might it be useful to study for the mcat alongside with the class?

Not a bad plan imo depending on the way summer classes work at your school. I'd reccomend at least a month of time in between the end of the class and the test date.

I am doing the same, sophomore as well. Taking a 6-week biochem course (May - Mid June) while studying other subjects. The way I look at it, I might as well take it right after I finish my pre-reqs. Then I'll gave 7-8 weeks after that to keep studying and take practice tests.

I am going to apply same cycle as you. I am a junior, though. I am taking it in August and I have begun studying now. The reason I am taking it sooner rather than later is because I want it out of the way while everything is still fresh or close to. I also would rather focus the rest of my time on extracurriculars. What I have noticed with extracurricular is that once you jump into one, you don't really jump back out. They just pile one. Give yourself time now to study for the MCAT so you can have a year to boost other parts of your app later. Personally, though, I also just happen to have a very busy senior year coming up.