When should I take the DAT to be considered for first batch/round of interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
҉̮̯͈͇͙̣̦̜

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going to be taking the DAT soon, and I'd like some input on when I should take the DAT to have my AADSAS application sent out in the first batch and hopefully get in one of those first rounds of interviews. I'll probably finish my application the first week of June, depending on how slow my schools are at getting my transcripts sent. Right now I was thinking about taking the DAT the first week of June, since the first batches of applications don't get sent out right away, not sure when they get sent out though.

according to my aadsas file, I took the exam 8/16 and aadsas recieved it 9/1.

give it two weeks to get there. however this is the disclaimer that AADSAS has for the DAT section:

Please be aware that AADSAS is in the process of receiving and processing DAT scores from the ADA. If AADSAS has received your DAT score from the ADA, you may see it posted to your application as early as June 23, 2010. AADSAS will continue to receive scores after this date and post them to applications as they are received. Please be patient while these scores are posted.

good luck :luck:

Take it the end of April or first part of May. Like Odentkin said, it takes a few weeks for the ADA to get them to AADSAS.

You want to apply the first day the cycle opens so that you can be in the first batch of applications that arrive at the schools you're applying to. Your application will be incomplete if you don't have a DAT score, so make sure you give yourself enough time to have everything in place before the application opens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be taking the DAT soon, and I'd like some input on when I should take the DAT to have my AADSAS application sent out in the first batch and hopefully get in one of those first rounds of interviews. I'll probably finish my application the first week of June, depending on how slow my schools are at getting my transcripts sent. Right now I was thinking about taking the DAT the first week of June, since the first batches of applications don't get sent out right away, not sure when they get sent out though.

First batch of applications or 2nd or 3rd, are all identical when it comes to being "early". They are like 1 week away from each other so its NOT that big of a deal.

I say taking the DAT late May / first week of June is ideal.

I took it late june and got plenty of first round interviews

I took the dat mid june and sent aadsas mid june and got many first round interviews

҉̮̯͈͇͙̣̦̜

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, can you tell me what schools those were and how early are the first rounds of interviews? Is it interview invites in July, and the actual invites in August?
By applying mid June I got first round interviews at some private schools like Case and Nova and some public schools like my own state school. It depends on the school but I found that the first interviews were in August or early September. Taking the DAT mid June worked best for me because it was late enough to give me lots of time to study and yet early enough to get early interviews. Good luck to you.

҉̮̯͈͇͙̣̦̜

Last edited:
took mine june 30, aadsas received scores 7/19, got plenty of early interviews...

i think most schools start reviewing apps in august so late june to early july would be the latest i would take it...

I took my DAT the first week in June, on the 7th, and my scores were not received until July 8th, over a month later.

okay how about this...

i already took the DAT twice and im applying this june coming up and i also want to be early since i have everything done...my question is how will aadsas get my DAT scores...do i have to pay for them again? do i have to pay the ADA to get them to the schools?

any help is appreciated!!

Last year I took my DAT in June and got my addsas submitted in July and got first round interviews. Had one in september, one in october and one in november.

okay how about this...

i already took the DAT twice and im applying this june coming up and i also want to be early since i have everything done...my question is how will aadsas get my DAT scores...do i have to pay for them again? do i have to pay the ADA to get them to the schools?

any help is appreciated!!

I copied this from the ADEA website FAQ section:

"DAT Scores Imported Directly into ADEA AADSAS Application

Starting with the 2011 ADEA AADSAS application, applicants no longer self-report DAT scores in the application. ADEA AADSAS will obtain your official DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association’s Testing Services Center and will import them directly into your application. If you take the DAT after your ADEA AADSAS application has been sent to your designated dental schools, an updated application, reflecting your DAT scores will be forwarded to schools just as soon as the scores are received."

As long as you have a DENTPIN you're good to go. Hope that helps.

I copied this from the ADEA website FAQ section:

"DAT Scores Imported Directly into ADEA AADSAS Application

Starting with the 2011 ADEA AADSAS application, applicants no longer self-report DAT scores in the application. ADEA AADSAS will obtain your official DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association’s Testing Services Center and will import them directly into your application. If you take the DAT after your ADEA AADSAS application has been sent to your designated dental schools, an updated application, reflecting your DAT scores will be forwarded to schools just as soon as the scores are received."

As long as you have a DENTPIN you're good to go. Hope that helps.

Awesome!! thanks so much :)

do you know if i have to wait for aadsas to receive the scores or will just receive it right away?

Awesome!! thanks so much :)

do you know if i have to wait for aadsas to receive the scores or will just receive it right away?

Since you've already taken the test your scores should be imported into AADSAS within a reasonable time frame. Imo, the 2 things you should be more concerned with that could potentially hold up your application are going to be your transcript(s) and LOR's. Some schools take their sweet arse time processing transcript requests. And, some professors fail to recognize and/or simply put-off the email request from AADSAS regarding the submission of the LOR they have prepared for you.

Neither your undergrad institution nor the individuals who are submitting evaluations on your behalf will share your sense of urgency when it comes to getting these items sent/submitted to AADSAS. It's your job to create that sense of urgency and make sure everything's submitted in a timely fashion. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck with your candidacy.