When should I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldensouls

Reaction score
Hello! Currently, I am a rising Junior and plan to have my physics I and orgo II prereq done fall 2019 and then spring 2020 take physics II and biochem I. I have been going back and forth on trying to decide when I should take my MCAT after looking at other threads and recommendations on SDN. I'm on the fence of deciding to take it the first March date and, if I need to retake it, then the first May date in order to send in my completed application early June. Based on other recommendations I've received, my other two options are to take it January and again late spring if need be, or, take it once late April/early May.

What's causing me to be unsure is because I'm nervous that I won't do well the first go-around and if I take it too early, I won't have gotten to all my prereqs and essentially set myself up to have to retake it.

I greatly appreciate any advice someone has to give regarding my question or about the MCAT in general. Thanks in advance!

ps. I plan to matriculate straight from undergrad, therefore applying summer 2020 to begin medical school fall 2021.

Members don't see this ad.

With your aamc practice exam scores, you'll have a pretty good idea of how the exam might go the first time you take it! The most important thing is to take the exam when you're ready. If your practice exam scores are near your goal score, then take it in January and if not, then take it in March. It doesn't matter if you apply early if your scores aren't up to par.

So, what's even more important than making sure your score is ready for the application, is to make sure your score is a good one. If that means you're not going to be perfectly on time for this application cycle or that you need a gap year, then that's definitely a much better alternative to needing to retake once or twice because you rushed.

I hope that helps and good luck with everything! If you have any questions about anything, then please do not hesitate to reach out. Also, if you're still exploring practice materials, I have a link for the free Next Step prep bundle in my signature!

I applied this cycle. I took my MCAT in April. For me, I wish I would've taken it earlier. I wish I would've gotten a better score, but I didn't feel that I had enough time to study for a better school before I submitted my application.