When should I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doitforkids

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be a 4th year this fall.
I have to take 3 more pre-req classes. I am a bit behind so I have a heavy courseload each quarter for the next year. I am planning to apply in june 2010 so my main focus is to raise up my gpa. Would it be okay to take mcat courses during my fall quarter and take it in january? Or should I enroll in mcat courses now and take it asap while I have some time (i'm taking summer school though)? What do you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say take the course in the fall and take it january. This is beneficial because you can study during the 3-week winter/xmas vacation with no school. studying for the mcat while being at school is extremely difficult. The class will at least force you to review the material, but you need a couple of weeks of no distraction to do the practice tests. I would suggest that you start doing passages for the verbal section during this summer, because that doesn't require any outside knowledge. and since verbal is the hardest section to improve your score, you should spend the longest time on practicing that section.

It would be a very big mistake to study for the MCAT while trying to pull up your GPA with a heavy course-load. Take the MCAT late in the summer, build up your application for a year, and apply early the next year. Studying for the MCAT while attempting to raise your GPA will result in neither.