1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

when should i take the MCATs? please read my story first

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by fourstar, May 1, 2004.

1. fourstar

fourstar Member
    5+ Year Member

I know a lot of people usually take it during their junior year in the spring but i have a problem

i messed up my freshman year... and starting sophomore year, i decided i wanted to go into medicine. I'm a little behind in my coursework and i plan to stay an extra year or so (post-bac?) to make up for my freshman year grades.. as well as some sophomore year grades :oops:

I probably even have to go do a masters before i even jump into the application cycle

will i reach a time that i know for sure that it's time to take the MCATs ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Right after completing pre-reqs is probably a good time to take the MCAT.
    A lot of people don't take it during their junior year.

4. MrTee

MrTee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anytime before you apply :) I would delay it if you're going to be taking advanced science courses that might help you on the mcat...I feel those types of courses are responsible for a huge jump in my mcat performance. If your're for sure going to do a masters, you might want to take it after you've finished your senior year in undergrad and before the masters.

5. ajnak182

ajnak182 MCATretaker4life
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Apparition's take on the post. Taking the MCAT right when you've finished the last of your prereqs (excluding the evolutionary biology req, because its barely on the MCAT) will allow you to take the test with the pertinent knowledge you need in the exam fresh in your brain. Thus, you don't have to spend as much time relearning information and can spend more time completing problems and practice tests. Good luck with your ambitions ;)

AJ