Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

When should I take the MCAT's

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by dlouis, Jun 20, 2008.

1. dlouis

dlouis 5+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Hello everyone. I just joined this amazing forum. Hope i'm doing this right!

I am a microbiology major and i will be a junior this coming fall. I am worried about taking the MCAT's next summer because I am about to start my year of physics and o-chem. I will not take biochem until fall of senior year. Does everyone think that I will have the majority of the information needed to get a good score on the MCAT's? Also, is biochem really important to take before taking the MCAT's?

My other problem is that I feel that i can't study that hard yet because I don't know the majority of the physics and o-chem needed to show what my real score would be. If anyone else has been in my position or is in it now, i would love any info that will help.

This test is the only thing worrying me about getting into med school. Thanks again!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ecoli

ecoli 2+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Biochem isn't all that important for the MCATs. you're likely to have covered mostly everything in your intro bio courses.
  4. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2007
    hSDN Alumni
    Hey, Welcome to the boards! If you haven't yet, check out This Thread for popular threads that you will probably find useful.

Good luck to you! Enjoy your time on SDN! Prepare to lose your social life to it as well. :smuggrin:
  5. SN2ed

SN2ed Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Biochem isn't necessary for the MCAT, but it can help you. Once you finish physics and o-chem I would guess that you've done all the pre-reqs. If you have, then yes, you will be in a good position to take on the MCAT. Although you usually want to strive for complete understanding in all your classes, you should make a special effort in physics. That class will help you throughout the MCAT with some of the problem solving skills you gain (you should also get some in o-chem, to what degree depends on the teacher). Physics also happens to be taking up the majority of the PS section of late. On the other hand, o-chem is seeing less of a focus in BS.

I wouldn't start studying right now. Enjoy your time in college and do ECs.
  6. greg1184

greg1184 10+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Biochem can potentially be very helpful for the MCAT. I had a passage on Beta-oxidation of fatty acids on my MCAT, and having biochem certainly helped me on that.