When should I take the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFGrl1183

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a little confused on when to take the PCAT. Most schools say that the scores have to be in before the cutoff date of the application. So if I wanted to apply in June of 2011 and I believe the cutoff date is Feb of 2012 maybe, should I take it in August of 2011, and October 2011 (if needed)? Or do my scores have to be in by the time I apply? I think it would be better for me to take it next August and Oct anyways because I just now started my pre reqs. I am taking A & P I and Gen. Chem I this semester and A & P II and Gen Chem II next semester. So hopefully by the time I get ready to take the PCAT I will have had most of my classes done with. Also I will most likely get one of the study guides (any suggestions on which is best? I heard Kaplan is good) so hopefully that will help. Any advice/suggestions about when to take the PCAT will be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt take the pcat until you have A&P and chem 2 under your belt.. bc there are a few a & p ?s on the biology and a lot of chem 2. Take it in aug. and if you dont like your score then take it in oct. The more classes you have taken, the easier the test will be.

Ok thanks for the advice. I just wanted to make sure I could it was ok to take it after I applied, but before the cut off date for applications. So it would be ok for me to take it Aug/Oct of 2011 if I apply in June/July of 2011? Thanks.

Hello everyone. I'm a little confused on when to take the PCAT. Most schools say that the scores have to be in before the cutoff date of the application. So if I wanted to apply in June of 2011 and I believe the cutoff date is Feb of 2012 maybe, should I take it in August of 2011, and October 2011 (if needed)? Or do my scores have to be in by the time I apply? I think it would be better for me to take it next August and Oct anyways because I just now started my pre reqs. I am taking A & P I and Gen. Chem I this semester and A & P II and Gen Chem II next semester. So hopefully by the time I get ready to take the PCAT I will have had most of my classes done with. Also I will most likely get one of the study guides (any suggestions on which is best? I heard Kaplan is good) so hopefully that will help. Any advice/suggestions about when to take the PCAT will be greatly appreciated!!

I definitely would not take this test until you have had Bio I&II, Gen chem I&II, O chem I, and Calculus. A&P you could get by without taking probably. Going in without Organic I would be a mistake IMO