When should I take these classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxlo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going into my sophomore year next year, and I have the option of taking summer classes as I live close to my uni. I haven't taken gen chem 1 or orgo 1 yet.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take gen chem 1 (1st summer session) and orgo 1 (2nd summer session) (both with labs) over the summer, or should I take gen chem 1 the fall of my sophmore year and then orgo 1 spring of sophomore year? Will this put me behind MCAT/med school app wise, since I will be taking gen chem 2 and orgo 2 in my junior year?

Thanks for all help

Members don't see this ad.

Well first just a little clarification on the sequence...You have to take it in the order gen chem I -> gen chem II -> orgo I -> orgo II....i would take chem I in summer session (its generally a straightforward class), and depending on how well you perform take chem II in 2nd session....orgo in the summer, even if you already had a year of chem, is not a good idea (ask anyone who is/has taken orgo)

I am starting my orgo sequence this fall (as a sophomore) and will be graduating in 4 years, so as long as you have all your ducks in a row it shouldn't be an issue to get everything done that you need to do

So I'm going into my sophomore year next year, and I have the option of taking summer classes as I live close to my uni. I haven't taken gen chem 1 or orgo 1 yet.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take gen chem 1 (1st summer session) and orgo 1 (2nd summer session) (both with labs) over the summer, or should I take gen chem 1 the fall of my sophmore year and then orgo 1 spring of sophomore year? Will this put me behind MCAT/med school app wise, since I will be taking gen chem 2 and orgo 2 in my junior year?

Thanks for all help

I am also a little bit confused by your course sequence. Ordinarily, one would take Gen chem 1 -> Gen chem 2 -> orgo 1 -> orgo 2. Either way, you'll want to have orgo 2 complete BEFORE the 2nd semester of your junior year (as most individuals will recommend that you take the MCAT during this time).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a little bit confused by your course sequence. Ordinarily, one would take Gen chem 1 -> Gen chem 2 -> orgo 1 -> orgo 2. Either way, you'll want to have orgo 2 complete BEFORE the 2nd semester of your junior year (as most individuals will recommend that you take the MCAT during this time).

Aside from ordinarily, it's not possible to take them out of sequence... chem 2 is a prereq for orgo 1

I realize that's the traditional sequence, but for some reason this is the only way that my uni offers those classes.

Fall - Gen chem1/Orgo 2
Spring - Gen chem 2/Orgo 1

They also offer gen chem 1 in the 1st summer session and gen chem 2/orgo 1 in the 2nd session

I realize that's the traditional sequence, but for some reason this is the only way that my uni offers those classes.

Fall - Gen chem1/Orgo 2
Spring - Gen chem 2/Orgo 1

The real question is: is gen chem II a pre-req for org chem? Doesn't matter what semester they offer a class if you cant get into that class lol

No, it is not. Gen chem 2's prereq is Gen chem 1 and Orgo 2's prereq is orgo 1.

I suppose I can take Gen chem 1 and Orgo 1 in my sophmore year, then take gen chem 2 in the summer between sophmore/junior year, then take orgo 2 the fall of my junior year.

Is this recommended?

No, it is not. Gen chem 2's prereq is Gen chem 1 and Orgo 2's prereq is orgo 1.

I suppose I can take Gen chem 1 and Orgo 1 in my sophmore year, then take gen chem 2 in the summer between sophmore/junior year, then take orgo 2 the fall of my junior year.

Is this recommended?

Ive never heard of this in my life.. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

sorry if this sounds like i'm being an ass OP, but i feel like you don't understand what we are saying....

read this carefully...

you MUST take gen chem I to take gen chem II, and you MUST take gen chem II to take organic chem I, and you MUST take organic I to take organic II

therefore you MUST take chem in the sequence: gen I, gen II, orgo I, orgo II

you CANNOT take gen chem I and orgo I at the same time. these are two COMPLETELY different classes; one is a freshman level and the other is an upper level science.

until you have taken gen chem I and gen chem II, you CAN'T take organic PERIOD

Yeah I mean, I don't understand why my school is so weird. Almost everyone I know has taken Gen Chem 1 in the fall of their freshmen year and Orgo 1 in the spring. I'm emailing the pre-med advisor now.

Not a 100% true. At my school, we take Gen Chem I, Orgo I, Orgo II, Gen Chem II. In that order. Not too much in Orgo I that you need Gen Chem II for.

Just saying.

^ This is exactly what my pre-med advisor just emailed me. Gen chem I - Orgo I - Orgo II - Gen Chem II.

This brings me back to my original question - when should I take these? How bad of an idea would Orgo I + lab be in a 4 week summer session?

sorry if this sounds like i'm being an ass OP, but i feel like you don't understand what we are saying....

read this carefully...

you MUST take gen chem I to take gen chem II, and you MUST take gen chem II to take organic chem I, and you MUST take organic I to take organic II

therefore you MUST take chem in the sequence: gen I, gen II, orgo I, orgo II

you CANNOT take gen chem I and orgo I at the same time. these are two COMPLETELY different classes; one is a freshman level and the other is an upper level science.

until you have taken gen chem I and gen chem II, you CAN'T take organic PERIOD

???

While it may be weird, why do u assume all schools follow what yours does.

I don't remember o-chem being at all dependent on anything i learned before hand.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is.

At W&M we have the same sequence, Gen-Chem 1, orgo 1 orgo 2 gen chem 2.

U a tribe member?

???

While it may be weird, why do u assume all schools follow what yours does.

I don't remember o-chem being at all dependent on anything i learned before hand.

You didn't learn about electronegativity in gen chem I before organic? I do agree that gen chem 2 has very little to do with organic

Same at my undergrad. I have Taken G-Chem 1, Orgo I and am currently in Orgo 2. I'll be taking G-Chem II next.

As for the OPs question... no matter what sequence and what school, I can assure you G-Chem I comes first.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is.

At W&M we have the same sequence, Gen-Chem 1, orgo 1 orgo 2 gen chem 2.

U a tribe member?

sorry, should posted the endcap..."at my school"

they teach a reasonable amount of orgo-applicable content in both of our general chem's...but then again our classes have always been structured differently than a lot of schools...

still in my opinion you should go in order gen I gen II orgo I orgo II...i see no need to jump into orgo before i've had plenty of experience in the gen chems