When should I tell my employer about medical school acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOstudent20

Reaction score
I am currently in my gap year and working for a healthcare company. I got accepted to medical school and I am not sure when to tell my employer about the acceptance. During the interview process, I did not really mention my plan for medical school since it never came up and it was doubtful at the time that I would even get in. None of my coworkers know about my acceptance either or my plans to attend medical school. Should I tell them, now that I have gotten an acceptance, or should I wait a bit longer until it is closer to start of the school year in the summer? I do want to keep this job for a few more months but I am afraid they will replace me sooner than I want. If I wait too long though, it might catch them off guard so what is a good timeline of letting them know? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

2 weeks notice. I'd suggest taking a few weeks off before school starts though.

Reactions: 4 users
They would replace you in a heartbeat if they felt like it. They don't care about you nearly as much as you're thinking about them. Just do good work and give them the traditional 2 week-ish advanced notice. Also take time off before school starts to just recharge and feel fresh. In the meantime, keep collecting your coin.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They would replace you in a heartbeat if they felt like it. They don't care about you nearly as much as you're thinking about them. Just do good work and give them the traditional 2 week-ish advanced notice. Also take time off before school starts to just recharge and feel fresh. In the meantime, keep collecting your coin.
Thank you for the advice!

100% agree with what was been said. I was in a similar position as you before starting school and gave them notice a few weeks before school started so I could chill. Don't tell your coworkers unless you really trust them to keep it to themselves. Congrats on the acceptance and keep your job until you're ready to peace out!

Reactions: 1 user
100% agree with what was been said. I was in a similar position as you before starting school and gave them notice a few weeks before school started so I could chill. Don't tell your coworkers unless you really trust them to keep it to themselves. Congrats on the acceptance and keep your job until you're ready to peace out!
appreciate it!

I'm going to slightly disagree with that has been said. Personally, I worked at a really supportive clinic during my gap year; the physicians, PAs, and NPs helped to proofread my personal statement and some even offered to write letters of rec. When I got in, the head physician took everyone out to eat to celebrate.

I say that to say this; it all really depends. If you believe that you work for a company that truly values you, your work, and is supportive, then I would tell them. If you don't feel like this, then don't.

I wouldn't keep it a secret unless you truly believed that they were going to let you go for it; in which, I would tell you to just leave anyways because that is a company that doesn't really care for you, and you need to be chillin before school starts anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
Have they been treating you well? If not, then I would then squeeze every dollar you can from them and then walk off without any notice. It will feel great.

Depends on your relationship with your coworkers and the company. I like to give as much notice as possible as a courtesy to the people I work with. But if you suspect they'll put you in a bad position then absolutely don't tell anyone until the last second.

I had to walk off my last job because I was accepted 5 days before school started. But jobs where I've really cared about making sure my coworkers were in a good spot when I left, I would give a month's notice or more (my mother, a healthcare suit, says this is laughably excessive but she didn't become a suit by being the kindest person...)

I worked for a healthcare system that has its own medical school. My boss knew when I was hired I was applying to medical school so I let them know once I got in, she even threw me a pizza party. But I had a really good relationship with my boss so they were cool with me working for several months before I started. I think the healthcare field is a lot more forgiving than other fields when it comes to furthering your education

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to slightly disagree with that has been said. Personally, I worked at a really supportive clinic during my gap year; the physicians, PAs, and NPs helped to proofread my personal statement and some even offered to write letters of rec. When I got in, the head physician took everyone out to eat to celebrate.

I say that to say this; it all really depends. If you believe that you work for a company that truly values you, your work, and is supportive, then I would tell them. If you don't feel like this, then don't.

I wouldn't keep it a secret unless you truly believed that they were going to let you go for it; in which, I would tell you to just leave anyways because that is a company that doesn't really care for you, and you need to be chillin before school starts anyways.

Depends on your relationship with your coworkers and the company. I like to give as much notice as possible as a courtesy to the people I work with. But if you suspect they'll put you in a bad position then absolutely don't tell anyone until the last second.

I had to walk off my last job because I was accepted 5 days before school started. But jobs where I've really cared about making sure my coworkers were in a good spot when I left, I would give a month's notice or more (my mother, a healthcare suit, says this is laughably excessive but she didn't become a suit by being the kindest person...)
Thank you guys for your advice. I think I am going to play it safe since this is more of a corporate job at a smaller company and I am not sure how they will take it. I do need the money so I will give them a a few weeks notice around April so that I can have a couple of months to relax.

Reactions: 2 users
I never told them I was applying to med school just say you want to quit give a two week notice

I worked with a woman who was applying to PT school which is very competitive. She did not get in the first two cycles and we were so invested in her success that we all cried when she finally got accepted. We knew her time with us was coming to an end but she worked her butt off until the end and we had plenty of time to hire her replacement and she trained them well. Maybe give them some credit that they will be happy for you and you can train a replacement for them.

We sign contracts a few months in advance for the upcoming year. I plan to tell them then that I won't be signing another, and request a positive letter or statement that they would re-hire me. It never hurts to have a back-up plan or connection for possible summer work.

Good job with good contacts and reasonable people: month or two

not good employer with people you dont like and no fear of burning bridges : lawl not much