When should I tell writers to submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Numba1Plumma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to submit my AMCAS statement as early as possible. I plan on telling my letter writers in January that I need a recommendation. I was wondering if I could already make an AMCAS account for the next application cycle or if I have to wait for a little while longer? Also, once I make the account, can the writers upload the document whenever? Basically, what I'm asking without the above ambiguity is when can I start my online application for the 2011 cycle and when can my writers upload their letters for the 2011 cycle? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the application opens in mid April or at the beginning of May, so I don't think you'll be able to create an account until then. If you're going to use the AMCAS letter service (not something like Interfolio, VirtualEvals, etc.), then you'll need to wait for them to send their letter until you can print out an AMCAS LOR form to accompany the letter. They would then need to mail it in and AMCAS would need to verify it.

In short, it's good to go ahead and ask for letters. At least you won't be scrambling to get them in. But it's going to be one of those hurry up and wait sort of deals unless you're going to use a private letter service.

Would you recommend using the amcas letter service?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know enough about the different services to recommend one or another. My school used VirtualEvals, so I had to use that service. Most people seem to be pretty pleased with Interfolio, but maybe some others will come and post their opinions.

Regardless, you will have to use the AMCAS letter service one way or another for nearly every school. Interfolio, etc. all upload their letters to the AMCAS letter service digitally I believe. The decision for you is whether you want to use the AMCAS service directly or have a third-party (e.g., Interfolio) deal with that.

I don't know enough about the different services to recommend one or another. My school used VirtualEvals, so I had to use that service. Most people seem to be pretty pleased with Interfolio, but maybe some others will come and post their opinions.

Regardless, you will have to use the AMCAS letter service one way or another for nearly every school. Interfolio, etc. all upload their letters to the AMCAS letter service digitally I believe. The decision for you is whether you want to use the AMCAS service directly or have a third-party (e.g., Interfolio) deal with that.

Good information, I have to say ColeOnTheRoll you are one of the most helpful poster on SDN nowadays.

I set artificial deadlines for all my letter writers, and buffered it about 1 month before the first day to submit. This was still not enough for 1 of my crucial letter writers who ended up delaying my app. I would recommend setting an early deadline.

If you're going to use the AMCAS letter service (not something like Interfolio, VirtualEvals, etc.), then you'll need to wait for them to send their letter until you can print out an AMCAS LOR form to accompany the letter. They would then need to mail it in and AMCAS would need to verify it.

Wwwwhat? I am fairly sure that's not how it works, at the very least not how its going to work for most of the people who write you letters.

AMCAS has an online submission thingy, that every one of my letter writers used. And besides the fact that most letters will be submitted electronically, they can't do anything with your letter until you have started your application and have an AMCAS ID number. There's nothing wrong with getting your writers to write the letter early, but they're not going to be able to do anything with it until you have started your app.

By the way, for all of the schools I applied to AMCAS letter service was the only option, they didn't do it any other way, and if I am not mistaken that is the trend at the majority of med schools in the past couple years.

Wwwwhat? I am fairly sure that's not how it works, at the very least not how its going to work for most of the people who write you letters.

AMCAS has an online submission thingy, that every one of my letter writers used. And besides the fact that most letters will be submitted electronically, they can't do anything with your letter until you have started your application and have an AMCAS ID number. There's nothing wrong with getting your writers to write the letter early, but they're not going to be able to do anything with it until you have started your app.

By the way, for all of the schools I applied to AMCAS letter service was the only option, they didn't do it any other way, and if I am not mistaken that is the trend at the majority of med schools in the past couple years.
The "online submission thingy" is the Amcas letter service, and it works exactly how Cole described.

OP, if you stick solely with Amcas, then you have to wait until May to submit your letters. However, it would be to your benefit to collect your letters on interfolio much earlier than that. Then, forward your letters from interfolio to amcas when it opens in may.