When should I write a letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikewattz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was offered an interview at the University of Michigan (my top choice). The interview day is December 21st. Will writing a letter of intent help my chances of gaining an acceptance? If so, when should I write the letter? Before the interview or right after the interview? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I would say definitely after; you will be able to elaborate more on why you want to attend there after having seen the place and been on the tour. :luck:

Any advice on what I should include in the letter of intent...What will be most convincing? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
After the interview. It would appear rather presumptuous to send the letter before you've been on the interview.

What is letter of intent? I did not see anything about letters of intent for admissions...

What is letter of intent? I did not see anything about letters of intent for admissions...

It's not required by any means. If you know that you would choose one school above all the others, and that it is definitely your first choice, you can write them a letter to let them know just how interested you are in their particular school, and that they are in fact your first choice. A letter of intent should only be sent to one school.

On the other hand, a letter of interest is not in any way binding, and just tells a school (if you want to) your particular interest/fit in the school. These can be sent to as many schools as you would like to send them to. It may help, or it may not.

Do a search. There are many threads discussing these types of letters.

someone want to read a draft letter of interest for me? This is my first one so i am a little unsure of the strength of wording i should use
thanks