When should Step 2 CK score ideally be ready to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtinker1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year MS beginning to think about Step 2CK. I have a 266 on Step1 and am hoping to match into dermatology.

I realize aways ideally are done during July-August so letters are ready Sept 15. Should CK also (on a perfect application) be ready then?

I'm trying to figure this out so I an determine A) can I study for CK on my aways and take it closer to Sept 15 with score coming out after or B) should it be taken during gap between MS3 and MS4.

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 3rd year MS beginning to think about Step 2CK. I have a 266 on Step1 and am hoping to match into dermatology.

I realize aways ideally are done during July-August so letters are ready Sept 15. Should CK also (on a perfect application) be ready then?

I'm trying to figure this out so I an determine A) can I study for CK on my aways and take it closer to Sept 15 with score coming out after or B) should it be taken during gap between MS3 and MS4.

Thanks all.

The standard advice used to be to delay Step 2 CK for as long as possible if your Step 1 score is as good as yours.

You'll need to check as many schools now will not allow you to graduate if your step 2 CK scores aren't in (my school required them to be taken prior to December of your final year)

There are some more programs now that do require a Step 2 CK score. If you are interested in those programs, then yes, you'll ideally want your Step 2 CK scores ready to do come application time.

Reactions: 1 user
To add on to asmallchild's great answer, I think only Cleveland Clinic and one other program require Step 2CK to be considered for an interview. With a score like that, I'd wait to take it until November or something. I'd recommend spending your nights on aways working on projects with the people at your away, or finishing up projects at your home institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
To add on to asmallchild's great answer, I think only Cleveland Clinic and one other program require Step 2CK to be considered for an interview. With a score like that, I'd wait to take it until November or something. I'd recommend spending your nights on aways working on projects with the people at your away, or finishing up projects at your home institution.

Really? Awesome! Would that apply to me as well, with a 262-264 on Step 1. I am doing a research year right now in between MS3 and MS4 so it's been so long since I've had rotations and I forget a lot of Step 2 stuff. I'd love to postpone Step 2 until around Nov because I can bang out so many projects and do a 3rd away rotation this fall. Otherwise, I can only do 2 aways and have less time for research.

Cleveland Clinic says they need Step 2 to consider you, but I got an interview there and I didn't have any Step 2 score at that time (I think I actually took it a week or two after I got the interview invite).