When should those who heard nothing begin considering backup plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, when should we start thinking about what we will do if we don't get in this year? I only ended up with one interview, but it was at my number 1 choice school, I'm an in state applicant, I have a 3.94 overall GPA and~3.8 science GPA. My DAT scores were AA19 PAT20. I had my interview on September 11 so they had a long time to consider my application. I even did research in the college of dentistry at this school. I guess I just figured if I was going to get good news they would have given it to me among the first. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Like the title says, when should we start thinking about what we will do if we don't get in this year? I only ended up with one interview, but it was at my number 1 choice school, I'm an in state applicant, I have a 3.94 overall GPA and~3.8 science GPA. My DAT scores were AA19 PAT20. I had my interview on September 11 so they had a long time to consider my application. I even did research in the college of dentistry at this school. I guess I just figured if I was going to get good news they would have given it to me among the first. Any thoughts?

Shocking. If there is one thing reading SDN during Dec. 1 has shown me, it's that dental admissions can be completely random.
I know some very well-qualified people on here who did not receive an acceptance to a school that they had great chances at, and at which they interviewed.

I'd consider a Letter of Intent and also start looking into back-up options now. I hope you won't need to use back-ups, but that's what they are there for- to give you a peace of mind that things will be all right.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey man, I was there on the 11th as well. Keep the faith, as there are some people who are going to turn down their offers. I would have backup plans ready to go until you have an acceptance in hand, but also don't hit the panic button just yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What're you guys thinking to do as a back up plan?

3.972 gpa, 22AA, 23 TS, Good ECs...

2 pre dec interviews - Waitlisted

1 interview coming up

Unbelievable because I see kids on this forum with far lower stats getting acceptances.

There is def a randomness factor in-play.

1 interview coming up
Unbelievable because I see kids on this forum with far lower stats getting acceptances.
its not just a numbers game. your personality and application as a whole have to inspire them to want to accept you.

Reactions: 2 users

1 interview coming up

Part of it may be chance but it's not all about stats. People with lower stats might have great personal statements, ECs, reference letters, research experience, and great interview skills.

Reactions: 1 users
Part of it may be chance but it's not all about stats. People with lower stats might have great personal statements, ECs, reference letters, research experience, and great interview skills.

and connections/ an "in" at a dental school

Plus the schools are trying to find people they think fit well with the rest of the school

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah of course.. But my interviews went very well and my ECs/LORs are solid.

Whoa there friends. This was only the first round of acceptances... There are still many months and multiple rounds of acceptances yet to come. Always have a backup plan, but don't expect that you'll need it just because you didn't hear back on December 1st. There are people with 0 interviews so far this cycle who will STILL get into a dental school!

Reactions: 4 users
Whoa there friends. This was only the first round of acceptances... There are still many months and multiple rounds of acceptances yet to come. Always have a backup plan, but don't expect that you'll need it just because you didn't hear back on December 1st. There are people with 0 interviews so far this cycle who will STILL get into a dental school!

We're SDNers. Okay? We are trigger-happy, and when the acceptances don't come, we get fidgety!

Reactions: 4 users
Back up plan for me is most likely med school.

anyone have an idea what the approximate proportion of decisions go out on Dec. 1?

Hey man, I was there on the 11th as well. Keep the faith, as there are some people who are going to turn down their offers. I would have backup plans ready to go until you have an acceptance in hand, but also don't hit the panic button just yet.
When should we hit the panic button? May? lol