When should we hear from Texas schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecadet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the TMDSAS website says the schools will mail acceptances on 2/1. However, I'm wondering when people typically find out. Isn't the match done in mid-January?

I went through old threads and found a post where people were posting acceptances on 1/12 last year. How'd they do that?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that we can learn our fates through a web site at midnight on 2/1. I think there's an exception to the process for out-of-staters who interviewed at only one school. Actually, I fall into that category, but I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the process, so I'm just going to wait until 2/1. That's the only exception to the 2/1 date that I'm aware of.

The match date for last year was January 15. The date for this year is February 1. I am not sure how people from last year found out January 12. Perhaps each school posts a list of accepted students on the internet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I thought the match might be 1/15 since that is the cutoff date for rankings. I wonder why it is so much later this year than last year?

Will the TMDSAS website have the info? I noticed that at the bottom of the rankings page it says "School Matched:".

From going through old posts, it looks like UTMB (and maybe other schools) puts the class list up on their website. Maybe they will do it earlier than 2/1.

spacecadet

the tmdsas website will have the match results on 2-1-02. Some schools such as UTMB will show the students that matched there on their website but I'm not sure if they will have it up prior to 2-1, I'm guessing they won't. All schools will mail out acceptances on 2-1 also. Just out of curiosity, how are you'll ranking the schools, because I'll still trying to decide.

makaveiii,

I only interviewed at UT Houston and UTMB. I put UTMB first (after much deliberation) because of the curriculum.

I just talked to UTMB admissions staff today and they said that at 12:01 on February first their match results will be on the website. Spacecadet, tell me if you match there because it's my number one choice also and we might be classmates.

1. UTMB- I was shown a lot of love, these people really recruited me, they have nice hospitals, an awesome med school building, awesome gross anatomy lab (that has windows, I might add), and an interesting curriculum.

2. Texas A&M- I thought the way we were treated at the interview was definitely first class, Filo really takes care of the interviewees as well as the students. Also you get two more years of the college life, a major plus if you didn't get to go to a division I football school. The class size is great because you're bound to get a lot of attention. Gross anatomy lab with window as well, not as large as UTMB's but that's partly due to class size. Plus Scott & White is a great hospital.

3. Houston- I loved the facilities here, there was a lot of color in and around the classrooms. They had flat screen monitors on the computers for students. The student population is very laid back and isn't competitive. The hospitals are awesome. Hermann hospital was beautiful. Being in the middle of the Texas Medical Center is great.

4. Texas Tech- It's out in Lubbock so that's a drawback. However I get the impression that this school is making a push to be one of the more elite medical institutions in the next several years. The students I spoke to felt that they were worked a lot harder than other Texas med students because Texas Tech wants to prove that they should be a more prestigious institution. The faculty I met were extremely nice, but I'm not sure I could live out in Lubbock and then possibly Odessa or El Paso for 4 years.

5. San Antonio- The facilities are out of date, my interviewer was condescending and indifferent, I got lost in the maze connecting the med school to dental school.

makaveiii and jaedia,

I learned from another group that last year's match was 1/15, but some people found out early (1/12) because 1/15 was a holiday and they got info on Friday. No such luck this year.

I will let you guys know if I get accepted if you do the same. I'd love to meet some of my future classmates.

So far I'm also ranking UTMB 1st, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the schools I interviewed at(Tech, San Antonio, Houston). They all seem good, and I would be happy at any of them. I am leaning towards ranking Tech second even if it is in Lubbock because they have such high aspirations. Anyway, I will post what school I match with once I know. Until then, good luck!

Hey Makavelli, congrats on that UTMB interview, its funny how things turn out, one day you don't have it, the next you're worried how you're gonna rank it. Good Luck buddy

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to reiterate...

1. Last year, we found out 12:01 1/12. That's b/c the match was *supposed* to be Jan 15, but the 15th was MLK day (holiday) and they had all the lists so they did it early. (I suspect that they do the actual match several days in advance and just wait to post results)

2. To find out where you got in, go to each school's website and look. Sometimes its "hiding" but keep looking and you'll find it. (I couldnt find UTMB's last year for awhile, it was my first choice and my name wasnt on any other lists...talk about nerve wracking!) They'll post a list of acceptances. MOST of the schools do this - I know that SWern, UTH, UTMB, UTSA and TCOM do this. I dont know about tech or A&M.

Good luck everyone!
Star

The TMDSAS web site has a page where applicants already ranked the schools where they interviewed. Below this listing is a space and a title, 'School Matched:' . So, on Feb 1, if all works out for you, the central app. site will tell you where you matched, and you won't need to visit each school's web page. However, if you are on alternate list, that page will not tell you anything about it. Good luck.

Have any of you heard yet? Will it be tomorrow at midnight?

No because tomorrow is january 31st

Wish you all the best guys! :) Hey Tentative and jaeida8:Who did you rank 1st & 2nd?
I've got two friends going through TMDSAS.

Another thread mention that we can find the 2006 class list & waitlists on the med school's web page, but they didn't mention exactly where to look. Do you know where I could find it on San Antonio's come Feb 1st? I've tried looking, but can't find it (of course it would be empty if it was in existance, but just so I know what direction to head in if it exists). Or will a link appear that's just not there right now?

Thank you! :clap: (I really like the clappy face, it's so cute)

Originally posted by Tazdoc:
•Hey Tentative and jaeida8:

Who did you rank 1st & 2nd? :) •••

I haven't applied. I was just curious as to the results for all of the other Texas applicants.

UTMB has a link now which says "The 2002 Medical School match list will be posted here at 12:00 a.m. on February 1, 2002". The link is: <a href="http://www.utmb.edu/iutmbevents/som_list.asp" target="_blank">http://www.utmb.edu/iutmbevents/som_list.asp.</a> It's good to know in case you can't get through to TMDSAS's website - I imagine it will be quite overloaded.

Hope this helps! Only 10.5 hours to go...

hey...does it say somewhere that tmdsas will post the results at midnight? I can't find it on their page. How do you know they won't post it at like 4 pm tomorrow or something like that?

From the HPO at my school: "Officially, the acceptances for medical school will go out at 12:01 AM, Friday, February 1st. Some of the medical schools post a list of accepted students on their web site. The HPO does not maintain a public list of students who have been accepted to medical school."

Has anyone heard yet? I know they said midnight, but I was wondering if they would post it any earlier tonight... Good luck, everyone!!!

I just checked the Applicant Preferences section on the TMDSAS website, and it said I was matched with Texas Tech. Has anyone else seen if they were matched yet? I want to make sure it's not a mistake.

The results have been posted!

Nothing there for me yet either. I only interviewed at one Texas school (UTSW), so it's quite possible I didn't match anywhere.

You're scaring me man! :(

Uh oh, it appears some people have results up and other don't. It may be that the results don't all post at the same time. Wait for midnight to pass before jumping out a window.

I checked mine. I matched at UTMB, my first choice. :) I wonder why the results were posted early.

Has anyone matched at UTSW yet?