when should you be totally finished with applications to be considered early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Admires

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Complete by labor day. That's primary verified and secondary submitted.

Reactions: 1 users
If your application is marked "complete" by labor day (that is, secondaries received by the school, not just submitted), then it's on time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to around 20 schools and should be verified soon. I'm starting to prewrite secondaries tomorrow and was wondering when i should be finished to be considered early. I predict i'll be done with applications by mid to late August. Is this still early in the cycle? Thanks!
Hard to say; in an ideal world you'd want to be complete as soon as you got the secondary assuming your AMCAS was submitted June 1.

You're early; you'll be fine mate. Grab a coke and chill tfo.

If your application is marked "complete" by labor day (that is, secondaries received by the school, not just submitted), then it's on time.

Hard to say; in an ideal world you'd want to be complete as soon as you got the secondary assuming your AMCAS was submitted June 1.

You're early; you'll be fine mate. Grab a coke and chill tfo.

thanks, guys. do you know generally when i should send in my secondaries to have it "complete" by labor day?

thanks, guys. do you know generally when i should send in my secondaries to have it "complete" by labor day?
Send them as fast as possible back. Don't wait on your professors. You can pester them later saying "i'm complete EVERYWHERE except for your letter, please send it asap" if need be, most profs will send it in accordingly.

Send them as fast as possible back. Don't wait on your professors. You can pester them later saying "i'm complete EVERYWHERE except for your letter, please send it asap" if need be, most profs will send it in accordingly.

lol, thanks, but i have my letters on interfolio already. sending them to amcas soon. i was just wondering when i should send my secondaries in by to be consider complete by labor day.

lol, thanks, but i have my letters on interfolio already. sending them to amcas soon. i was just wondering when i should send my secondaries in by to be consider complete by labor day.
September 1 at precisely 2:47:52 AM.

Alternatively, before Labor Day.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have the secondaries already right now, why not submit asap?

because im not verified yet, and started writing secondaries today. i'll be verified in around 7 days.
Ah ok that makes sense. You're welcome to submit your secondaries and submit them whenever, there's no need to wait for your LoRs to come in. Granted, you won't be "complete" but still.

And in some schools. having primary, secondary, and MCATs is sufficient to start evaluation on those sections. Traditionally, letters were not expected until after beginning of Fall term (Sept). So waiting for everything to be in your hands prior to submitting any part of your application is an inefficient strategy

AMCAS 2018 Timeline Summary (post count #043)
-AMCAS May 2, 2017, Primary application opens up. Can send formal requests for transcripts from your schools and letter requests to your letter writers.
-AMCAS June 1, 2017, Completed primary applications with all ECs, PS, and course information can be submitted. You enter the verification queue only when both completed primary application and all transcripts have been received.
-AMCAS June 30, 2017, begins transmission verified applications (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
-Secondaries timelines can vary widely as to when to they are sent out from almost immediately upon submissions to 3 months, though most are in the range 1-3 weeks after transmission.
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-There are usually 3 main phases in processing application
----1) Initial Screening/Evaluation: A hybrid of automatic GPA/MCAT screen plus human for "quick review" of application. Used to for general priority and, in some cases, which team/subcommittee gets application. In some cases preset criteria can lead to II
----2)Full Evaluation: This is where evaluator/reader/team/subcommittee will fully evaluate all sections of primary, secondary, and LOR and generally summarize in broad categories or point system. This essentially becomes your priority for adcom review and II. This function may be split up among several evaluators and may go to a team or subcommittee for II decision
----3) Full adcom: this is where your fully evaluated application is reviewed and voted on by adcom for II on later on for acceptance/WL/rejection
-Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review of evaluated applicants until at least mid-August, more likely September, though some reviews may be done earlier for groups mentioned above. Evaluation may start almost immediately at schools.
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by Labor Day is early. By late or end of September is about normal speed, by end of October is about late.
--After that point you will generally start getting impacted by the number of applications submitted, the finite number of interview slots, and seats given by rolling admissions. This isnt an absolute date nor is it a fixed timeline. It should be used as a guideline
thanks for the informative post @gonnif . How the heck do you know all this stuff? I've read a lot of your posts, they're extremely detailed with facts and dates included! You're some kind of wise owl oracle!

I'm applying to around 20 schools and should be verified soon. I'm starting to prewrite secondaries tomorrow and was wondering when i should be finished to be considered early. I predict i'll be done with applications by mid to late August. Is this still early in the cycle?
By Labor Day is "on time" and average.

IMO, being Complete by August 1 is "Early."

thanks for the informative post @gonnif . How the heck do you know all this stuff? I've read a lot of your posts, they're extremely detailed with facts and dates included! You're some kind of wise owl oracle!
No, no, no. You know better by now, Dr. Stalker. If you mention animals to @gonnif you'll start him off on another pun adventure. Who, who knows when it will stop.

Reactions: 3 users
No, no, no. You know better by now, Dr. Stalker. If you mention animals to @gonnif you'll start him off on another pun adventure. Who, who knows when it will stop.
Woah woah woah, paws there @Catalystik. Let's just paws and take some time out to think about animal puns...

Both of you need to be put on a leash with your dogged efforts to make puns. Frankly I know all this from my career doing systems as a good shepherd for application associations, medical schools, postbacs/SMPs, and premed programs. I have to be bloodhound to sniff out all the issues, factors, and criteria that need to included and pugnacious in setting up processes that can retriever all that is needed. Sometimes I just must be a bulldog to whippet these systems into shape. Sometimes it can be such a bitch. How I got into this from my long and varied background is a story for another time, but in reality, I am just a mutt.

Now how this all started from comment on owls is just for the birds.
The Prince of Punnery has no need to be catty.

Are you trying to call me a common phrase to address a domestic feline and utilized by current president in a crude reference in a now famous audio recording? (Would be much funnier if I wasnt trying to be so politically correct. Guess I am just a p*ssy)
I am purring with contentment at your sense of humor, and no have doubt that this thread will have nine lives. I don't think that my curiosity will be lethal to this feline, either.