When should you have all your rec letters ready? mid-July okaY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask< iwon't have all my rec. letters until Late July, and I want to make sure that the 2 week timeframe for most secondaries isn't broken!
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school, but most secondaries come within 2-4 weeks of your having submitted the complete AMCAS application. The fact that your recommendation letters will not be in your hand until late july will have no bearing on when your secondary gets to you or when you can send it back. Most schools allow you to complete applications in steps - i.e. you can send in the secondary with the essays at one time, your recommendation letters later. The school just doesn't consider your secondary "complete" until they have everything in hand (AMCAS, secondary, rec letters, transcripts, MCATs, etc).

Somewhere around here I did a post on the entire aplication process. Anybody have the link?

Members don't see this ad :)
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010171" target="_blank">Jalbreakfast's Official Guide to Medical School Admissions</a>

mrhdream,
You should be fine as long as your letters will be complete by then. It'll be July at the earliest before you start to receive secondaries if you submit your AMCAS at the earliest possible date. Most schools will give you more than two weeks, so don't worry about it. :)