When should you start planning for your gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemedicine416

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a rising senior and I am planning to take a gap year after I graduate. I was just wondering when I should start looking into and applying for gap year opportunities so I can be sure to have a job/ meaningful experience during my gap year.

Should I start now or after I graduate?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do something specific and formal (like a volunteering or research program, for example), it is never too early to start looking up application deadlines and requirements.

What are your plans for gap year?:)

My timeline: Started casually looking in October 2015 (some fellowships have winter deadlines). Really ramped it up February 2016, receieved research tech job interviews and then offers in April 2016, graduated may 2016, started working June 2016.

Reactions: 1 user
Earlier is definitely better, at least in my case. I was deciding between doing a master's program or landing a research position, and eventually chose the latter around January of this year. I started applying for positions in February all the way until May (about 70 positions--such fun), interviewed for the position I have now at the end of April, graduated in May, and started working in June. If you plan on spending your gap year working in some kind of research/hospital setting, it's better to get an early start since the process for landing a position can be quite long (especially if those positions are paid).

Reactions: 1 user
You should be planning gap years before your apply. Seriously you should have a plan B, C and D ready before you even start plan A.

Id be keeping an eye on specific stuff like SMP and vouleneering oppertunites starting between June and September of your application cycle.

Is it hard to volunteer as a college grad at hospitals/clinical sites? Most things I see in my area are for people in college. I am currently in college but planning on a gap year and wondering whether it would be easy to add a few hours of hospital volunteering a week to a full time job doing something else (research, etc).