When Taking Practice Exams...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys do the writing section every time?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep I think its worth it. Especially since it is harder to gauge how well you are doing on the writing part since its more subjectively graded. Unless you feel completely comfortable with the writing portion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I think its worth it. Especially since it is harder to gauge how well you are doing on the writing part since its more subjectively graded. Unless you feel completely comfortable with the writing portion.

How would you evaluate them? Where you taking a class where you could send them off to the instructor? I'm fine with taking a few, but even then, I think it's hard to say exactly how you're doing on them without an instructor to grade and critique them.

you're absolutely right, you can't grade them on your own. But what I need practice with is thinking about a prompt and writing an essay in timed conditions. So that is why I think it is better to practice whenever you can, even though you will not know if you are doing a good job.

you're absolutely right, you can't grade them on your own. But what I need practice with is thinking about a prompt and writing an essay in timed conditions. So that is why I think it is better to practice whenever you can, even though you will not know if you are doing a good job.

So why not look at prompts, then give yourself 5 minutes to come up with an outline? I think that'd be a much more useful way to use your time.

Yes you can definitely do that. I am not a very good writer, so personally I prefer to just write it out if I have the time.

You should take them to get a feel for length of the MCAT. There have been times when people underestimate the WS and tire out before finishing BS. Get in the mode of practicing with a complete FL to best simulate your test day. While your WS will most likely not matter, your BS certainly will.