when the committee sends us its letters, they're not sending us their best, folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted812153

My school has an LOR committee. I graduated last summer. Do I have to go through the committee to get the letters of rec from my professors, or can I just ask them on my own? Does it matter if I just ask them independently?

(I would prefer not to go through the committee. I didn't bother to impress my professors, and didn't really give a **** about most of classes if I kept good grades, and it showed)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
My school worked like this:

You ask the professors you want to write letters for you individually and ask them to send the letter to your pre-med adviser. Then you contact your premed adviser and set up the committee interview. That letter gets packaged along with the individual prof. letters by your premed adviser and uploaded to AACOMAS or wherever you want.

If your school has a committee and you qualify for a committee rec, I would say just go get it if you still can. No reason not to if you have good grades and interview reasonably well (which you need to be able to do anyway to get into school, and this is basically a good practice run)

Thank you for your time, Psuedo.

I'm not sure I fully understand how the committee works. I thought that I go to a room with a bunch of professors (think 'Council of the Elders' type deal), ask them if I am worthy of a letter, they convene and decide if I am meritorious.

Yours sounds less like Game of Thrones so you're probably right on this one. What exactly is the committee interview, anyways? Who is that committee?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure I fully understand how the committee works. I thought that I go to a room with a bunch of professors (think 'Council of the Elders' type deal), ask them if I am worthy of a letter, they convene and decide if I am meritorious.

Yours sounds less like Game of Thrones so you're probably right on this one. What exactly is the committee interview, anyways? Who is that committee?

Bunch of Chads and Staceys looking over your beta college days
9c9878575f33fb694a1b632351c2afc8

Reactions: 1 user

Dude you can just ask your profs directly, don't worry about the committee. There are some people on here that will suggest that a committee letter is better than a few prof letters.. I'm not so sure, and I know personally I wouldn't want to ask for one from my alma mater.

If you choose to just get the science prof lors, you won't have to ask permission from the committee to contact your old teachers. They will just submit letters individually for you. That's what I've done, anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
I would send an email to your pre-med advisor if you want the exact information. Every committee works differently from school to school, so what someone tells you on here may not apply to your school. The best resource to ask is the one directly at your school.

Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Donald J. Trump is my favorite sdn user.

Reactions: 3 users
Ask them individually use interfolio. I never used committee, and got 10 interviews, went to 6 accepted to all 6

Oi,
it's you again!
What a pleasure.

I didn't learn about my UG's pre-med committee letter until I had already had individual profs writing me letters... I think the best part of doing it through the committee is that it takes pressure off the student from actively going out and finding x amount of authors.. But I mean, I don't find it necessary.

You ask your profs (and others) for LORs

They send them to the committee.

The committee writes a gestalt LOR based upon the LORs they've received, plus everything else they know about you. This won't happen until after they interview you, which will be, in essence, a mock interview for med school.

Many MD schools LIKE committee LORs, and in fact, will ding you for not having one. Note that I wrote "many", not all.

My school has an LOR committee. I graduated last summer. Do I have to go through the committee to get the letters of rec from my professors, or can I just ask them on my own? Does it matter if I just ask them independently?

(I would prefer not to go through the committee. I didn't bother to impress my professors, and didn't really give a **** about most of classes if I kept good grades, and it showed)