When the going gets (real) tough - Inspiration Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning to take the MCAT this year and apply but life happens. Things are really bad now. I might be homeless with not a cent to my name and I have to take care of my parents. I really have no idea how I am going to get by. I'm still looking for a job.
My med school dream will now have to take a backseat (at least 5 years & I'm already 27!) while I try to make things better..and that is being optimistic.

I know some of you had it tough but made it through through med school or are in med school.

Share your stories.I really need some inspiration & cheering up.

Members don't see this ad.

Planning to take the MCAT this year and apply but life happens. Things are really bad now. I might be homeless with not a cent to my name and I have to take care of my parents. I really have no idea how I am going to get by. I'm still looking for a job.
My med school dream will now have to take a backseat (at least 5 years & I'm already 27!) while I try to make things better..and that is being optimistic.

I know some of you had it tough but made it through through med school or are in med school.

Share your stories.I really need some inspiration & cheering up.

I don't have a story that will help but check this thread out: Talk about inspiration.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=906324

He's younger but so what. There are PLENTY of people 30-32 in my class. We've even got a guy who's like 55. So you start @ 32, you're still a doctor done with a 4 year residency at 40. You're gonna be someday 40, right? Might as well be 40 and a doctor! You can still knock out a solid 20 year career no problem. You got this. Keep your head up.

Almost been homeless once, and now I'm at a point that I have enough cash to make it through August and that's it. If I don't find a job, I'm homeless too. I'm also taking care of a parent. I know how it feels. The economy is horrible and we have it real bad. Time passes though, and you'll be 30 whether you're in med school or not. Same goes for 40, 50, 60+. Don't lose sight of that and feel you must conform to giving up on your dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you will make it through. I can't say I was ever close to being homeless because I own my house, but I was unemployed for 2 years after graduating college in 2009. I was diligent enough to finally get a professional job last fall, which is great. I am applying to med school this year to hopefully enter in 2013 at 28 yrs. If I don't then I will keep trying. It sucks that hardworkers are the ones who are suffering in this country while lazy people can receive all the assistance. What about your church family? You think they can take up a collection or help out? Are there no programs that can provide emergency assistance where you live for you and your family? I hope everything works after awhile. Perseverance and Prayers! God never gives us more than we can handle. He wants you to come out on top and stronger!

The last thing we need on this thread is debate...

Don't be an ass.
What I find egregious is religious people trying to dump their religion on everything. As an atheist, I would feel offended that someone would say this kind of stuff to me. In fact, this person is nearly saying it to me as I'm close to that situation. "Don't worry, God is just testing you but you'll be okay!" That's insulting and a non-answer. Why don't you as a religious person give me your money or your possessions? After all, didn't Jesus say to give up all your stuff and follow him? I'm tired of you religious apologetics that make it seem that atheists are asses. Don't want that to happen to you? Don't bring up your god. You don't see me starting conversations here about god. Sincerely, would you have felt differently about me if this person said "Jesus" and I was a Jewish person offended by it? Think about it.

If you're anything like me you probably feel like a total douche. Considering my still 'meh' stats even after having the ability to go back to school and apply I sure feel that way.

You put so much heart and soul into your ambitions and you are re-payed for your ambitions by a swift hard kick in the balls. At this point I'm convinced that I'm just ****ing crazy to keep willingly go back for the abuse. To further support that point, goddamn do I love the stuff that I learn about and do though.

I can't say I relate to being in danger of being homeless, but I can relate to the drive of still wanting to reach the end goal in spite of possibly being homeless.

What I find egregious is religious people trying to dump their religion on everything. As an atheist, I would feel offended that someone would say this kind of stuff to me. In fact, this person is nearly saying it to me as I'm close to that situation. "Don't worry, God is just testing you but you'll be okay!" That's insulting and a non-answer. Why don't you as a religious person give me your money or your possessions? After all, didn't Jesus say to give up all your stuff and follow him? I'm tired of you religious apologetics that make it seem that atheists are asses. Don't want that to happen to you? Don't bring up your god. You don't see me starting conversations here about god. Sincerely, would you have felt differently about me if this person said "Jesus" and I was a Jewish person offended by it? Think about it.

Ok, wow. Are you serious? This isn't about you. If you want your own bash religion/I hate God thread then go start one. The person was obviously trying to help another person deal with a tough time.

There's a time and place for those types of comments. This isn't one of them.

Ok, wow. Are you serious? This isn't about you. If you want your own bash religion/I hate God thread then go start one. The person was obviously trying to help another person deal with a tough time.

There's a time and place for those types of comments. This isn't one of them.
See? This is exactly the problem. An atheist stands up to people throwing around their god, and then they say the atheist is out there to "bash religion and hate god." I also fail to see how my first comment is bashing or hating. Like I said, nothing would have been said if the religious person didn't bring it to the table and you didn't escalate it, and to call it "good intentions" is relative. I call it offensive. Stop being an apologist. People shouldn't get a pass anymore for throwing around their religion.

See? This is exactly the problem. An atheist stands up to people throwing around their god, and then they say the atheist is out there to "bash religion and hate god." I also fail to see how my first comment is bashing or hating. Like I said, nothing would have been said if the religious person didn't bring it to the table and you didn't escalate it, and to call it "good intentions" is relative. I call it offensive. Stop being an apologist. People shouldn't get a pass anymore for throwing around their religion.

Dude go to the gym. Workout or something. You've got some pent up rage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Triage, you don't have to be religious to have faith. Faith is the hope that something better is around the corner. You can have faith in a higher power though too... Personally I think it's pretty pompous to know definitively that there is or is not a higher power. We can't even say for certain what a black hole does or is, only theories... Don't right off other forms of energy when we know so little about our own existence on this blue planet....

OP. We all have times of going through BS. Life dishes us crap on a cracker and expects us to swallow with a smile. I am 35 and starting school a week before I turn 36. Your parents won't be around forever, and you need to be stable in order to go to med school. Do what you need to do to get your life in order, med school will be there when you're able, assuming the world doesn't end this winter. If it does, I'm going to be really pissed and somebody's going to get some serious butt-kicking from me if they screw up my med school deal....

Triage, you don't have to be religious to have faith. Faith is the hope that something better is around the corner. You can have faith in a higher power though too... Personally I think it's pretty pompous to know definitively that there is or is not a higher power. We can't even say for certain what a black hole does or is, only theories... Don't right off other forms of energy when we know so little about our own existence on this blue planet....

OP. We all have times of going through BS. Life dishes us crap on a cracker and expects us to swallow with a smile. I am 35 and starting school a week before I turn 36. Your parents won't be around forever, and you need to be stable in order to go to med school. Do what you need to do to get your life in order, med school will be there when you're able, assuming the world doesn't end this winter. If it does, I'm going to be really pissed and somebody's going to get some serious butt-kicking from me if they screw up my med school deal....
I think it's true that you can have faith and lack religiosity. I also think it's pompous to assert that there is no god as it is to say there is one. However, neither of these address the point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to prove/disprove there is a god. People that bring their "faith" (or whatever you want to call it) shouldn't get a pass and realize that it's offensive to some people. When it's a Christian saying to a Jew "Jesus loves you" people understand how the Jewish person is offended, but if it's an atheist, oh no! He must bend over backward to accommodate to the sacredness of those other's beliefs because they have "good intentions."

Dude go to the gym. Workout or something. You've got some pent up rage.
I don't know what this has to do with rage. Why is it so hard for you to understand that for some people it's offensive to be told "well, god is just testing you?" Even if you believe in a god, you may believe that's an offensive thing to say about god. Again, if religious people don't want their beliefs questions, don't bring them to the conversation. I didn't bring them, but apparently commenting about them is rage and hatred.

Triage,

I think the problem lies in an apparent oversensitivity about religion. You see, the comment that set you off wasn't made with malice, it was made as a gesture of good will. I think that a gracious, humble human being should accept it as such and move on. What's worse, the comment wasn't even made at you in the first place, yet you jumped right in to express your offense.

A wise man once said "a fool takes offense when none is intended, and a bigger fool takes offense when offense is the goal". You need to learn to relax.

I'm not muslim, but when a Muslim tells me Allah blesses me, I don't get offended. It's a kind gesture.

And when an atheist tells me that I did something they appreciated I don't get upset. They're all variants on the same idea.

Does that make sense?

And it's a shame that this thread has been completely derailed now. Instead of encouragement, the OP gets contention.

OP, I'm very sorry to hear what you're going through. I wish there were somethig I could do, keep your head up and don't lose sight of your goal. Some of the best med-students are older, you'll make it happen, I'm sure of it!

Last edited:
I think it's true that you can have faith and lack religiosity. I also think it's pompous to assert that there is no god as it is to say there is one. However, neither of these address the point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to prove/disprove there is a god. People that bring their "faith" (or whatever you want to call it) shouldn't get a pass and realize that it's offensive to some people. When it's a Christian saying to a Jew "Jesus loves you" people understand how the Jewish person is offended, but if it's an atheist, oh no! He must bend over backward to accommodate to the sacredness of those other's beliefs because they have "good intentions."

I don't know what this has to do with rage. Why is it so hard for you to understand that for some people it's offensive to be told "well, god is just testing you?" Even if you believe in a god, you may believe that's an offensive thing to say about god. Again, if religious people don't want their beliefs questions, don't bring them to the conversation. I didn't bring them, but apparently commenting about them is rage and hatred.

My comment had nothing to do with religion; religious debates are pointless. It had to do with you taking something someone said for the benefit of another and deflating it because you were "offended." Like I said, this thread isn't about you. Get over yourself, your opinion and feelings aren't that important. If you're that touchy, life's going to be very hard.

Anyway, this is my last response to you so go ahead and get your response in. I'm done hijacking this thread.

OP hope it all works out for you, keep your head up.

Does that make sense?
I completely follow you and understand what you're saying. Most of the time I simply let it go for that reason: it's not meant offensively. However, it doesn't change the fact that it can be offensive. I made one comment to voice my disapproval. But what really triggered me was this person calling me an "ass," which is a direct bias toward the religious. It's just tiring living in a world where your lack of belief is constantly being bashed while blind faith is being glorified.

...However, it doesn't change the fact that it can be offensive.

I refer you to my quote above!

I made one comment to voice my disapproval. But what really triggered me was this person calling me an "ass," which is a direct bias toward the religious.

In what way? Wolverines83 may be atheist as well, and just thought your comment was out of line. Did you consider that possibility?

It's just tiring living in a world where your lack of belief is constantly being bashed while blind faith is being glorified.

:laugh::laugh: You need to change your social circles. In my experience it's often quite the opposite.

don't even try to do this on your own. get as much help as you need from any person or service willing to offer it. no idea where you live, obviously, but in some places, emergency funding is available for folks in certain situations, particularly if long-term illness/seniors' issues pertain. get the nitty gritty. (maybe ask a friend to help with locating services & filling out forms, if you're too frazzled.) assuming assistance like that's available, it still mightn't be enough, but may tide you over until you have a better mid- and long-term plan. (any siblings or extended family who can at least offer insight, if not tangible support, like a spare bed? is homelessness still imminent??)

unfortunately, you've got to accept having being dealt a crappy hand. things won't unfold the way you'd hoped, or on the timescale you'd planned, but you can come back to study, once the dust's settled. with, trust me, a lot of knowledge gained, that may help you in unexpected ways. i don't think we have troubles for any particular reason, or that misfortune is necessary for growth, or anything like that. but if you can survive this with your energy intact - which means not overburdening yourself with obligations (again: seek & take help!), and maybe delaying your goals until there's time to take a breath (you don't want to sabotage your grades by being over-ambitious*) you'll have gained a breadth of a certain kind of experience. maybe you'll be able to draw from it to help patients in future. maybe not. i hope this time is short for you, either way. (why five years, though, if you don't mind my asking? if you do, don't answer :) )

you're still young. really.

just hold your nerves.

*i know you've said you won't, but in case you're tempted, don't. have made that mistake myself; making amends for it now.

Last edited:
OK - I have gotten complaints about this thread, but due to feedback and requests I will leave it open. Please stay on-topic and only contribute if you can stick to the OP's original topic. Otherwise, please consider The Wolf's Den (aka the lounge) for all your unmet socialization needs.

Last edited:
Thanks vc7777 for reopening the thread. I really appreciate it.
Guys please stay on topic. I'm really down..and as I said I need some serious inspiration. There might be someone in a similar situation as me out there who will find strength in this thread. Thanks.

Wolverines83, TriagePreMed, aspiringdoc09, 7175pank, SBB2016, SLC, sockit -- a big HUG to all of you.
Thanks for your replies, stories & encouragement. You really made me feel better.

Other users.. please post if you have a story to share:) I will be so grateful.

Guys please stay on topic. I'm really down..and as I said I need some serious inspiration. There might be someone in a similar situation as me out there who will find strength in this thread. Thanks.

Wolverines83, TriagePreMed, aspiringdoc09, 7175pank, SBB2016, SLC, sockit -- a big HUG to all of you.
Thanks for your replies, stories & encouragement. You really made me feel better.

Making strangers feel better about themselves on the internet is what I do.

On the plus side, studies show depressed people have a more realistic outlook over optimistic people.

:thumbup:

I hope I didn't offend you with my beliefs as I see happened with another unintended user. I apologize if I did. Sometimes it seems like you won't make it out of a bad situation but months or a year for now, lets hope for the former, you see that it was a small bump in the road. I can't say that I have been exactly where you are but my family and I have had obstacles in our lives too. Hopefully, there is some programs available in your communitiy to help you out. Good luck with everything and God Bless You!

Y'all are welcome to ban me if you like. I don't care. Triage, I'm sorry if you don't believe, but you can't make me feel bad for having a belief system. No one is trying to convert you or anyone else on this thread. This thread wasn't about you, so take a chill pill. It's amazing how people say they don't believe in something and become offended. If you didn't believe in God, then what I said to the OP shouldn't be so offensive. How can you take offense against something that you don't believe in? How can you be pissed off at NOTHING! Ironic, isn't it? Triage, I wish you well in your life.

How can you take offense against something that you don't believe in? How can you be pissed off at NOTHING! Ironic, isn't it? Triage, I wish you well in your life.

Just being a smart ass but I can kind of understand the irritation and angst. It's akin to somebody saying 'May all enemies within your path be smitten and fall before the dark lord of **** and disease Beelzebub. Hail Satan. :)' It may be well meaning, but maybe you don't particularly believe in nor want to be blessed by Satan or Beelzebub. It may strike some people as offensive or inappropriate.

OP, can't say I've been in that sort of situation but I've definitely been in other seemingly insurmountable situations. It's just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other and taking it one day at a time keeping your eyes on your end goal.

Y'all are welcome to ban me if you like. I don't care. Triage, I'm sorry if you don't believe, but you can't make me feel bad for having a belief system. No one is trying to convert you or anyone else on this thread. This thread wasn't about you, so take a chill pill. It's amazing how people say they don't believe in something and become offended. If you didn't believe in God, then what I said to the OP shouldn't be so offensive. How can you take offense against something that you don't believe in? How can you be pissed off at NOTHING! Ironic, isn't it? Triage, I wish you well in your life.
I don't think anyone deserves to be banned, and I'm not trying to make you feel bad for your beliefs. You can believe whatever you like, but when you put your religion on things, don't expect people to give you a "pass."

There is no irony at all because the problem I have is not with the thing I don't believe in. The problem I have is with the people who believe and choose to put it out there, but either way, hopefully you can understand how telling a Jew "Jesus loves you" would be offensive to them even if they don't believe in Jesus and how that's analogous to what's happening here.

This is my last post about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.