When the heck do I take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsid

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone ... a question for you.

So, I've finished 3rd year and am taking off a year to work on an MPH.

did okay on step 1 ... 223/90.

okay 1st and 2nd year grades.

Lots of honors 3rd year.

My question, we are in the midst of moving to do the MPH ... things are a bit crazy. I'm currently registered to take step 2 ck on Aug 5th ... but I haven't had time to study. Should I put it off for a year when I start back here for 4th year? Should I take it December 4th year?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Once it's scheduled and registered can you actually postpone it? (sorry I never read the small print) :)

pedsid said:

Lots of honors 3rd year.

My question, we are in the midst of moving to do the MPH ... things are a bit crazy. I'm currently registered to take step 2 ck on Aug 5th ... but I haven't had time to study. Should I put it off for a year when I start back here for 4th year? Should I take it December 4th year?

Thanks.

Hi there,
I would take this exam as soon as possible after you have completed third year. The material will still be pretty fresh in your mind and all of the Step II nonsense will be behind you for fourth year. It's the best feeling when all you have to do is show up and graduate.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
njbmd said:
Hi there,
I would take this exam as soon as possible after you have completed third year. The material will still be pretty fresh in your mind and all of the Step II nonsense will be behind you for fourth year. It's the best feeling when all you have to do is show up and graduate.

njbmd :)

I guess my real question is should I worry about it? If I take step 2 December of 4th year than no residency program would see it. I've had a crazy summer, illness in family, having a baby, getting ready to move ...

What do you think?

By the way ... you can put it off as long as it is within your 3 month window. You just have to go to the prometric site to reschedule it.

Thanks again.

pedsid said:
By the way ... you can put it off as long as it is within your 3 month window. You just have to go to the prometric site to reschedule it.

Thanks. You should charge a small-print fee. ;)

pedsid said:

Lots of honors 3rd year.

Thanks.

A good rule for amount of time to study before the Steps:

Step 1: 2 months
Step 2: 2 weeks
Step 3: 2 #2 pencils

Seriously, if you are considering going into a competitive field and don't have much time to study, then I would NOT take it early. If you have a lousy score, then it hurts your application. If you take it during your 4th year (I took mine in January), all you have to do is pass. Its not a hard test after you have been through a few rotations. Just get a "1st aid for Step 2", study it for a couple of weeks while you are on a blow-off 4th year rotation, and then take the test.

TheThroat said:
A good rule for amount of time to study before the Steps:

Step 1: 2 months
Step 2: 2 weeks
Step 3: 2 #2 pencils

Seriously, if you are considering going into a competitive field and don't have much time to study, then I would NOT take it early. If you have a lousy score, then it hurts your application. If you take it during your 4th year (I took mine in January), all you have to do is pass. Its not a hard test after you have been through a few rotations. Just get a "1st aid for Step 2", study it for a couple of weeks while you are on a blow-off 4th year rotation, and then take the test.

As of now I'm either going to be applying to GS or Peds ... what do you think? With my step 1 score, should I take it now, or wait?

Nah, I would wait. Thats just the way I look at it: you have a decent step I score that will certainly get you into plenty of GS or peds spots, especially with good grades in your 3rd year. Unless you really think that you can improve on your step I score, which is difficult to do with little time, you can't hurt yourself by waiting.

thanks for the advice ... that's the way I'm leaning too ...