When the Trauma Center becomes overwhelmed, what is next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makethatcargowooot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To preface, I’m a 4th year med student with limited ER experience.

In light of recent events I’ve considered what exactly happens when a trauma center becomes overwhelmed? Even after triage, if there are simply too many patients in critical condition who can be saved, what are the next steps taken?

Members don't see this ad.

Hospitals have disaster response protocols for situations like this. I think I saw some interesting articles about the responses in Orlando and in Vegas in some sort of publications but I can't recall where.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like Sunrise got almost all the Pts.

I had the pleasure to listen to a talk from both trauma centers in Las Vegas. It sounded like both hospitals got way more trauma patients at one time than I could ever imagine. In addition some of the numbers are staggering (800+ units of blood), 30+ people with aliases at one time.

Very frightening and quite inspirational at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

To preface, I’m a 4th year med student with limited ER experience.

In light of recent events I’ve considered what exactly happens when a trauma center becomes overwhelmed? Even after triage, if there are simply too many patients in critical condition who can be saved, what are the next steps taken?

It's called triage- the process of deciding who dies and who doesn't.

Remember also that there is usually more than just the trauma center available. EMS systems have plans in place for disasters to divert ambulances to other certified acute receiving hospitals that have board-certified EM physicians who are capable of managing and stabilizing trauma patients even if they don't have the resources backing them that a Level I/II trauma center does.

Sounds like Sunrise got almost all the Pts.

Sunrise and UMC split up the sickest and most critical patients. Many of the more minor injuries were transferred from the major trauma centers to outlying non-trauma centers. The two hospitals I work at there (both non trauma centers) and received 50 and 20 minor gunshot wounds respectively. A level III center in the suburbs received over 30 ambulances that night with mixed acuity GSWs.

I agree, Dr. Menes is badass. I worked with him for 5 years. This one time we had an active shooter come to our suburban ED. Police arrived, and a gunfight in the ED resulted in the shooter being shot in the chest. Dr. Menes did an emergeny thoracotomy on him then and there.

As mentioned, the most important thing is triage. In these situations, it becomes an "all hands on deck situation". I was involved in an MCI where my hospital received 50+ patients in 1-2 hours. (Unending appreciation and respect to the folks in LV who dealt with so much more.) For us, staff stayed late, surgeons (general, trauma, neurosurg, ortho) came in from home. Medicine emptied the ED and continued work-ups on the floors. Intensivists came down to the ED. Medicine folks who were able assisted in care. I expect that outside of such an event, I'll never see such cooperation between specialties again. Also, lets not forget the registration and house keeping folks who did a great job; they don't get the glory, but they can be crucial. On the scale of the LV event, patients necessarily need to be sent to other hospitals, even if not a trauma center. If the hospital has general surgery, ortho, and vascular, there is no real reason they cannot handle those patients. Any general surgeon should be able to handle trauma (sure, reality is that most do not want to do that if they had the choice, but they can open a belly, resect bowel, pack a pelvis, ligate bleeding arteries, etc.)

I'm still in awe of how well these hospitals handled this. What they did needs to be intensely studied - what worked, what didn't. I suspect lessons learned there will make it in to text books in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Sunrise and UMC split up the sickest and most critical patients. Many of the more minor injuries were transferred from the major trauma centers to outlying non-trauma centers. The two hospitals I work at there (both non trauma centers) and received 50 and 20 minor gunshot wounds respectively. A level III center in the suburbs received over 30 ambulances that night with mixed acuity GSWs.

I agree, Dr. Menes is badass. I worked with him for 5 years. This one time we had an active shooter come to our suburban ED. Police arrived, and a gunfight in the ED resulted in the shooter being shot in the chest. Dr. Menes did an emergeny thoracotomy on him then and there.

A "respect" button seems more appropriate than a "like" button for this post.

Reactions: 1 users
FYI, here's a recording of the talk he gave about his experience:

THANK YOU for posting that -- I watched from beginning to end. Any chance you have the other lectures he gave that day?