When they ask "What is Your Greatest Accomplishment/Defeat?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GRslp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the first part under control - my greatest accomplishment. Last year, I interviewed at a couple of Pharmacy Schools, but didn't get accepted. This was one of the questions. Now, this year, I'm applying again to some of the same schools. If this question should come up again, would it look bad to say my greatest defeat was not being admitted to Pharmacy School last Fall?

Thanks for your opinions,
GR

Members don't see this ad.

I have the first part under control - my greatest accomplishment. Last year, I interviewed at a couple of Pharmacy Schools, but didn't get accepted. This was one of the questions. Now, this year, I'm applying again to some of the same schools. If this question should come up again, would it look bad to say my greatest defeat was not being admitted to Pharmacy School last Fall?

Thanks for your opinions,
GR

I would say if you feel that that is you greatest defeat then you should say that, but be prepared to back it up. Personally if you told me that and I knew nothing else about you, I'd say that's pretty shallow. Just superficial, off the top of the head thinking. But that's because I DON'T know anything else about you. I'd think a little longer and deeper for something else. If nothing comes up, well then maybe that is your greatest defeat.

Maybe not, it all depends on how you phrase the response. If you say something like you felt really strong about your application (honestly) and were a little upset; but took time to reflect and right potential holes in your application, that doesn't look bad.

However, I would look for other things first. I think it's an unfair question frankly, because I have felt low several times, but never defeated. My response would be, similar to that; more like, "Even when I lost my Grandfather; or watched my family split up during the divorce, I never felt defeated. I was sad, without a doubt and very heart-broken, but to admit or feel defeat meant that I had lost hope; I believe firmly that the day I've lost hope is the day I'll shuffle off this mortal coil."

Perhaps you could meld the two questions into one and mold your response to work in your favor. i.e. admit a weakness or failure that you've had, then explain how you overcame that failure and that the corrective action was your greatest achievement. This strategy would have the double effect of minimizing your greatest defeat, while demonstrating your ability to overcome difficult situations.

Your defeat could be the rejection letters while your greatest acheivement could be the 20% increase in PCAT score or 4.0 since your last applications went through.