When they phone to accept people off waitlists...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question, but what happens if you're unreachable by phone when a school tries to call you to accept you off the waitlist? Especially after May 15th when they don't have to give you your 2 week window. Would they just give up and call someone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure they would leave a voicemail and say to call back ASAP! Didn't they ask you to verify a working number!?! I'm sure they don't call "Jim" and be like....Oh, Jim didn't answer...next person on the list! LOL that would be absurd...but you never know!? What if you were in church? confession? class...lol? I had a Dean call me at 7:00 am! Guess what I was doing! SLEEP.

Yeah it just made me think of it because I may end up waitlisted for this interview I have coming up (knock on wood I don't) and if thats the case I was planning a 2 week long camping trip during which I'll have on-again-off-again reception...it would just suck to get in but then they skip you cuz you had no phone service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to call the school before you leave, find out where you stand on the list, reiterate your excitement about the school, and tell them that you are going to be gone for a couple of weeks and ask them what would happen if they were to call you when you were unreachable.

I interviewed for a waitlist spot a couple of weeks ago, and we were told that applicants are given less and less time to respond as the summer goes on. Toward the end, you may need to reply within a matter of hours. If you are going to be unreachable, you need to call the school and give them the name and contact information of someone who can act on your behalf while you are gone.

I interviewed for a waitlist spot a couple of weeks ago, and we were told that applicants are given less and less time to respond as the summer goes on. Toward the end, you may need to reply within a matter of hours. If you are going to be unreachable, you need to call the school and give them the name and contact information of someone who can act on your behalf while you are gone.

True. The version I've heard is this. If they can't reach you, they'll leave a message and say, please call us back within X number of hours. They don't want to do the paper work if you're not going. You say yes on the phone, then they send you paperwork to get you settled in. If you're going to be out of town for a few days or unreachable, call and send something in writing about who can act on your behalf.

Yeah it just made me think of it because I may end up waitlisted for this interview I have coming up (knock on wood I don't) and if thats the case I was planning a 2 week long camping trip during which I'll have on-again-off-again reception...it would just suck to get in but then they skip you cuz you had no phone service.

maybe you should look for a pay phone or something so you can at least check your voicemail daily.. If you're going with people with different cell service providers u should check to see if their providers have coverage where u will be camping.. Good luck.. if you're going soon i'm sure they'll still be giving a few days before you have to notify them..

maybe you should look for a pay phone or something so you can at least check your voicemail daily..

i'm confused. is this some sort of telephone that dispenses money? where might i find such a device? :confused: