when to apply for ASP ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sudhir22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the 5th year(internship) of BDS in a dental college in Hyderabad. I will be graduating in March 2012. I am preparing for NBDE part I and TOEFL. Is it possible to apply for Advanced Standing Programs of DDS that start in summer 2012 by submitting a provisional degree certificate ? Or do I need to complete my degree here and only then apply for programs starting in 2013 ? Looking for some guidance here. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require your final degree..try checking with schools you are interested in

Hey Sudhir, Ur aim is good. But U have to attend the IVs. So ur presence is needed. Is it possible for you to take long breaks during ur internship?
Don't rush ur NBDE exam becoz u have to score well in a single attempt.If u r fully confident, its upto you. Most of the schools ask ECE report so u need to submit that also.
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
@BDS to DDS, thanks for your reply and advice. How long a break would one need for the interviews ? I can take 2 weeks off a couple of times and travel to US. Would that be enough ?

Hey Sudhir, Ur aim is good. But U have to attend the IVs. So ur presence is needed. Is it possible for you to take long breaks during ur internship?
Don't rush ur NBDE exam becoz u have to score well in a single attempt.If u r fully confident, its upto you. Most of the schools ask ECE report so u need to submit that also.
Good luck

Hi sudhir, U can do that but still that period is not enough unless u stick to some particular schools.The problem is the time period for IV process varies from school to school and it goes on and on till the next year May. So u can only attend IVs of ur schools of choice.
What kind of visa do you have?

Last edited:
Yes indeed, I plan to focus on a couple of schools only. I will be on H4 dependent visa. I will call or e-mail the universities. I am interested in NYU and BU.

Hi sudhir, U can do that but still that period is not enough unless u stick to some particular schools.The problem is the time period for IV process varies from school to school and it goes on and on till the next year May. So u can only attend IVs of ur schools of choice.
What kind of visa do you have?

Hi sudhir22, I am planning on doing the same thing. I will hopefully graduate in June 2012 and am looking to start a course that summer. I have called many universities and it seems only BU and Alabama fit the criteria we are looking for. Have you found anything different?

I called up NYU and they said you need be graduated before applying. Not sure about other universties, but will update here as and when I get more info.

Hi sudhir22, I am planning on doing the same thing. I will hopefully graduate in June 2012 and am looking to start a course that summer. I have called many universities and it seems only BU and Alabama fit the criteria we are looking for. Have you found anything different?