when to apply for gap year job during senior year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyefrenchfry

Reaction score
in general, when should one apply for a gap year job? December? Or later in the Spring semester?

Members don't see this ad.

browneyefrenchfry said:
in general, when should one apply for a gap year job? December? Or later in the Spring semester?
All depends on your financial situaiton; can't give you advice w/out more information. Have you taken the MCAT yet?

my research advisor said that if youre interested in research positions that there really isnt a timeline in the sense that you could secure a position even in the summer prior to starting in august. this is because funding gets approved throughout the academic year with different grant deadlines so new positions open up in waves

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would really depend on what kind of job you're looking for. Research would have to be earlier since you'd have to find a PI, make sure they have the funding, and apply for study grants or funding somehow. If you're looking for a job like a scribe or a PCA, you would probably have to wait till you're about 3 months out from when you want to start since they would want to hire people who can start pretty much immediately.

All depends on your financial situaiton; can't give you advice w/out more information. Have you taken the MCAT yet?
I have not! I'm planning on taking it Spring 2021, at the end of my senior year. I'm wanting to take a gap year, preferably doing clinical research.

I think it would really depend on what kind of job you're looking for. Research would have to be earlier since you'd have to find a PI, make sure they have the funding, and apply for study grants or funding somehow. If you're looking for a job like a scribe or a PCA, you would probably have to wait till you're about 3 months out from when you want to start since they would want to hire people who can start pretty much immediately.
I'm thinking clinical research!