When to apply for gap year jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azjfrankl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not decide on medicine until the second semester of my sophomore year and will be applying to medical schools as a senior. I was wondering when other folks who have taken this track began applying for gap year jobs? I do not want to work until mid June.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my gap year right now. I started applying for jobs in December 2011, and did not find a position till October 2012! I currently work as a research assistant at a company. Depending on where you live, it may or may not be easy to find a gap year job. I'm from CA and I could not for the life of me find anything medically related (note that I do not have a CNA/EMT license...having one would for sure make life easier).

I would be working on it year in advance. The best way to get a job is through interning at the place before hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what your degree is in and what kind of job your willing to take. If it's biology then you should start looking early.. sometimes it's hard to find good jobs in biology with little to no experience.

So you're applying to medical school only two years after making a decision to pursue medicine? What were you doing freshman and sophomore years? Do you really think your application will be competitive enough by the time you apply? These are serious questions by the way--they aren't meant to be condescending.

I started sending out emails about gap-year jobs as early as November. I interviewed during winter break and then started several months later in the fall. I know it seems early, but if you want specific jobs then earlier cant hurt.